Tuesday, April 14, 2009

I wonder how she answered the test....

(Note: I had originally posted the Embed code for the Lindsay video here. However, it made my blog page all wonky so I've had to pull it. Go to www.funnyordie.com for the full clip. Tell Starzan that I sent you and would like a featured spot on the site.)

I have to give a shout out and a big thank you to my good friends at Funny or Die for creating this piece of internet genius. Yes, it is just my luck that right after I get a girlfriend My Beloved Lindsay decides to starts placing personal ads. I mean, now I could meet her without even having to get dressed. Oh well, guess that is the price that I will have to pay in order to spend every day with a smile on my face.

(Though really Lindsay, I say this from the bottom of my cold, black heart, have a sandwich. Go to Subway and pick up a five dollar footlong. There is such a thing as too skinny and you went beyond it. Also, to the marketing team at Funny or Die. Where is my syndication deal? I was promised a syndication deal.)

Going back to last night’s post. Not sure if people have ever noticed this but pretty much the last thing I do is try to come up with a witty title for the post. It is why they always tend to be non sequitors. The title is often the last thing between me and a night’s sleep. So last night’s idea of a television show called “Sugar Daddy” was just a spur of the moment idea.

However, the more I thought about it the more I realized that is exactly what “The Cougar” would be like if held in reverse. Let’s say we take a 40 or 45 year old guy who is most likely graying and getting a little fatter in the mid section. Not that he would look bad or anything, he would actually look quite sophisticated in a suit, but he would certainly look like someone’s cool dad if he was at a college bar. Now let’s have twenty young women, none older than 23, compete for his affection. Including getting drunk in a hot tub, flirts over glasses of champagne and a few make out sessions. What do you think the reaction to this show would be? Even if it was called something more mundane like “The Silver Fox?”

For some reason I would expect there to be a pretty sizable outrage regarding even the idea of the show. Young women being taken advantage for the benefit of an older man, especially if the sugar daddy aspect is taken into account, just seems to be something that really goes against a lot of standards. I could see protests against such a show especially if you played up the baser instincts of it.

Which is interesting given that we don’t care at all about any of the other reality shows and what type of image that provides or what we feel it might do for the contestants. Does anyone show concern that the contestants on The Rock of Love Bus may not be exhibiting the basic feminist ideals? Or that appearing on Tila Tequila may be something that might cause a slight issue in future job interviews? I think we are all amazed at what people will give up for just a few moments of fame. Except that it is not even fame. It is a few minutes on a basic cable channel in exchange for your pride and self-worth. There are more than enough people who are willing to make that trade and it amazes me.

No comments: