Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Plus they won't give me ESPN Classic

Swine Flu Fun Fact # 83: So far the best hope for a cure has come from a rather intelligent spider who is spinning detailed phrases into webs in order to help produce a vaccine. Sadly, due to the length of most medical terminology, the ineffectiveness of web based communication and the fact that we all know that she is just going to die in the end and leave us crying progress has been much slower than was previously anticipated.

I think I need to go on one of my regularly scheduled cable company rants here. Comcast has possibly the most ass backwards system that I have ever seen for a cable company. First off, my On Demand service works only on every other Tuesday, which you think would be a rather pressing issue for them as it prevents me from purchasing wrestling pay per views at my convenience. I’m not going to complain there as it keeps me from wasting my own money. Second, at random intervals the on screen program guide completely fails and every channel suddenly broadcasts “To Be Announced”. Though I have to admit that is a rather adequate description of the programs shown today.

Third, after I reset the program guide (by unplugging the box and restarting it) half the time I find that the program guide is completely inaccurate. There is nothing worse than sitting down, launching a program from your DVR and discovering that all you have done is record an hour of something you have no interest in seeing. Plus, there is no way that they are correct in saying that Obama is addressing the nation again tomorrow. They must be reusing the program guide from two weeks ago.

Finally, their commercials suck. Showing people in a vague Sims like environment singing very poorly. If I wanted to watch the Sims I would turn on my computer. Actually, I wouldn’t as I’ve decided that it is slightly better to live one’s own life than to simulate it on a computer. More importantly though, I’m not sure what Comcast is promoting in these general commercials. It’s not like they are touting one specific product or a new bundle that will create new revenue. They seem to be pushing how awesome they are in an attempt to gain new customers. Problem is they are the cable company so it is not like we have a choice in the matter. I live in an apartment and want cable and high speed internet. I don’t really have any other options so I’d rather you cut ten cents from my bill than show really bad commercials.

2 comments:

ComcastCares1 said...

Thanks for the feedback. We will share it with the appropriate department.

Please know we are here to assist. Please contact us and provide the phone number on the account so that we can look into the problem you are having with OnDemand.

We apologize for the trouble.

Mark Casem
Comcast Corp.
National Customer Operations
We_Can_Help@cable.comcast.com

Anonymous said...

Switch to AT&T U-Verse. I do TV, wireless, and internet in a package deal. Way better in every way and it saves me about $25/month over what I paid for when I had cable.