Thursday, April 02, 2009

This will go great with my Wampa


I know that the above item was just an April Fool’s Day joke but I so want one. I mean, I am more than willing to pay any aspiring sleeping bag maker to design for me a taunton sleeping bag. But it must have the faux intestine lining. Because there is no way to live out your Jedi fantasies unless you can slice open the belly of a Taunton before settling in for a nice nap.

Staying on the geek front: the FBI wants to know who leaked the Wolverine movie to the web. The rest of us just want to know why the movie sucks. I haven’t watched the leaked footage of course as that would be wrong but like all fanboys I can safely say without laying eyes on the film that it is a horrible misrepresentation of the character and in no way captures the nuances of Logan. Nor does it answer the question as to why claws are considered to be such an awesome weapon. It’s like he can punch you but now it is sharper. Never saw how that could compete with the guy who could blast you with laser beams from a block away.

The new laptop has been working out rather well for me. Screen resolution looks absolutely amazing but I have to tweak the sound settings a little. I’ve made some progress on the CD conversion front as I’ve ripped about 100 of them to my hard drive (again, I feel no guilt in copying music that I legally purchased to another medium for my own personal use. I’m just against artists getting no compensation for what they do). I am sadly at war with the machine on some fronts as my Zune wasn’t recognized (mainly because no one knows what one is) and my printer has apparently become self aware and is balking at any sort of changes to be made. Or at least it is now jamming for no apparent reason. One of those situations where it is easier to just turn the machine off then try to problem solve at the moment.

(Though I still think the keys on this keyboard are still a few centimeters out of alignment. It will take a while before my fingers naturally find their proper home on the keys.)

This weekend is Wrestlemania 25 and I will have to miss it due to a prior commitment. (Want to know when my life has taken a turn so amazing and unexpected that it astounds even me? When something comes up that I feel trumps Wrestlemania.) While I am disappointed that Koko B. Ware is making the Hall of Fame I am pleased that the Von Erichs, The Funks, and Howard Finkel are all being inducted this year. Especially Finkel who has been the ring announcer since, well, for as long as I have been watching wrestling. They’ve phased him out a bit over the past few years which is sad as there is no one better at saying “Your winner and NEW heavyweight champion…” Ring announcer is one of those roles that has sadly disappeared over the past few years. We no longer announce the name, weight and hometown of every wrestler. Which means that we no longer have wrestlers hailing from Parts Unknown with Weight Unknown. Takes all the fun out of the sport.

That is going to be it for this week. Next week I will post the 15 influential cultural events of my lifetime so that I can finally put that topic to rest. I’ll also probably have a few more tales from my life to share as well. Even I can’t say what will happen next.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

update: thinkgeek got such a positive response about the tauntaun sleeping bag that they are taking a serious look into how much it would cost to produce it(basically, how much it would cost to get the licensing from Lucas). unfortunately, the squeeze bacon april fool's product is not going to happen.