Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Also, can you use Discover for the cash back option?

Might as well discuss this whole Elliot Spitzer deal. As always, it is the math of the situation that confuses me. So he spent about 80 grand on, uh, “high end entertainment with premier ladies.” Actually, only one lady at four grand a pop so that would be twenty encounters in total. My question is do you start getting discounts for being a repeat customer? You know, like you’re handed one of those punch cards you get at Subway and on every tenth “date” not only does she dress up like a French maid but she also cleans your house? And if we follow that business model to its rightful conclusion could you also have coupons? A buy one get one free deal if you will? I really need to know these things.

So I was in Lawrence this evening and I was able to keep myself from grabbing random passerbys and yelling “Get a job you hippie!” True, most of those people were frat guys in Abercrombie t-shirts whose entire existence is a waste of natural resources but you get the idea. I’ve mentioned this before but I’m always amazed by the sheer number of hippies and artistically inclined people who seem to congregate on Mass. Street. In Champaign we would have laughed them off the campus. Of course we felt nothing wrong with the fact that we had a fully functional nuclear reactor on the engineering campus. To each his own I guess.

(Also, I have to point out that while I make fun of how other people dress today I came dangerously close to rocking out the “short sleeve shirt over a long sleeve shirt over a short sleeve shirt look.” Which would be great if I was still in high school.)

It is still a strange feeling to walk around Lawrence and feel like I’m the oldest one there. I was a sophomore in high school when a freshman at KU was born, a thought that makes me want to lie down in a corner and sob uncontrollably for a while. There’s that whole vibe of being just hip enough to still fit into the place that I enjoy though. One of the things I’m looking forward to in the next few weeks is on some nice weekday just driving to Lawrence and hit the music stores and shops and act like I’m a student again. I could see that becoming a standard routine of mine even though it would go against my thinking of not working will save me gas money.

Then I went to see Richard Thompson in concert where I was one of the youngest people there. That’s just the type of place Lawrence is. You can go from being the oldest to the youngest in a matter of seconds. It was a great show, just Richard and his guitar, by one of the master songwriters. While I know that I’m not long for this town it is nice to know that I can take off for the evening and experience a night like this.

I’ll end with an old clip of Richard. I don’t have the words right now to describe his style in any way other than genius.

No comments: