Sunday, May 20, 2007

Now Entering Wonderland (Note: Wonderland Currently Under Construction)

Just have a couple of random topics to write about tonight. No grand adventures from this weekend as I actually didn’t go out much other than my usual Friday night trivia game. Yes, even I can be tempted to take a Saturday night off every once in a while. It wasn’t because of the weather, as it would have been a nice night to be out and about, more because when you are yawning at ten you probably shouldn’t be out til two. Not that I haven’t tried it before…

Topic # 1: A few weeks ago I started to notice a bunch of signs going up around town. In what I can only gather is an attempt to make traveling easier for the occasional Kansas City tourist they’ve started to put up some very nice signs describing what part of town you are entering and arrows to point you in the direction of the attraction. (If the latest bond issue is passed then we get to move up to attractions.) Anyway, what this means is that now when I drive home to the Westport District I am notified of this by a picture of a stagecoach.

I don’t know about you but that isn’t the typical image that comes to mind when I think about the Westport District. Personally, I feel that a picture of a 23 year old refugee from a bachelorette party hurling into a trash can would be a much more appropriate image. I’ve lived here for a couple of years and I have to say that is something I come across on nearly a daily basis whereas I can’t remember the last time a wagon train pulled into town.

Topic # 2: Have I ever written about the insanely organized nature of bachelorette parties in this town? It has always bothered me. I come across these things every weekend and they are better organized than most wars. These girls have checklists and agendas and protocols and stuff. It is apparently the highlight of their life, which given the fact that they always seem to be 23 it could very well be. (This also explains why being in my 30’s and single in this town really, really sucks.) Basically all they do is walk into bars and become really annoying as they feel that they have a right to the place when the rest of us just want a beer and watch the ballgame. Hence my devotion to a bar that has actually turned bachelorette parties away at the door. It might not be good for that night’s business but boy does it make regulars out of the rest of us.

Topic # 3: I’m not quite sure what is making me feel older today: a) that it has been four years since I earned my MBA from Notre Dame, b) that it has been twelve years since I received my EE degree from Illinois or c) that it has been sixteen years since I was named to the prom court. I was actually called old at trivia last week (by the red headed slutatorian no less) and to be honest I didn’t feel like arguing with the claim. Every time I get my haircut I look down and see more and more white hairs in the mix. Theoretically this should make me look distinguished but I don’t live a life which really deserves distinguishment. I really need to find an answer for “What the hell have you done with your life?”

The five random CD’s for the week:
1) The Frames “Set List”
2) Loreena McKennitt “To Drive the Cold Winter Away”
3) Sarah McLachlan “Touch”
4) Aimee Mann “I’m With Stupid”
5) Various Artists “Here Come the Irish”

No comments: