Tuesday, May 22, 2007

What to look forward to


(For some reason I’m not quite sure of I am listening to Carbon Leaf’s “Love, Loss, Hope, Repeat” right now. Great album but I am still flummoxed by the line “Some things are best kept between a girl and her horse.” I’ve read Shakespeare, Joyce, Goethe, Faulkner and J. K. Rowling and even with all that literary background behind me I have absolutely no freaking clue what that line means. Do women tell horses secrets? Does that mean they somehow believe that a creature whose only thoughts are “I hope my leg doesn’t break” and “I wonder when I’ll get some hay” understand their every innermost thought? No wonder I can’t get a date, I’m using logic on girls who are dreaming of Barbaro.)

Reading through the past few posts I think you could get the sense that I’ve been…well, I don’t want to say depressed because that isn’t right. More like in a funk (and not in the Mayor Funk sense of the term.) It’s been more of a strange mix of never having free time and never having anything to do. I’m not kidding in the lack of free time, I’ve gotten to the point where I’ve been charting out my days in an attempt to just find a free half hour where I could read a book. Then again, the past few nights I’ve just been sitting around on my couch playing Playstation so obviously I have more time on my hands than I know what to do with.

Part of the problem is that I just do the same things week after week. Go to work, play trivia, hang out at the same bars. I really am stuck in a routine that I definitely need to break. I just need to meet a few new people, start hanging out in new places or just do something radically different with my life. My life isn’t very exciting right now and that a) isn’t much fun and b) makes the blog that much tougher to write. And to be honest, I need as much material as I can get.

The other thing is that I just haven’t had much to look forward to. I wasn’t even really looking forward to see Damien Rice because of the band lineup changes. I need to always have a concert on the horizon that I am just dying to see. Something that makes a bad day at work more palatable as I can just put on my headphones and know that in a few weeks I’ll get to be in front of the stage when this song is played. And thanks to Michelle at Davey’s I have one huge night to look forward to.

Because this August, Kelly Willis (pictured above), one of my favorite performers and the woman who ranked #3 on my Perfect Mate list (meaning that if asked “Would you marry her and spend the rest of your life with her to the point that you will be eighty five years old and sitting in matching recliners?” I would answer yes in less than a second.) is going to be playing at Davey’s. This is like the coolest thing that has happened to me all year. I haven’t had a chance to see her play in nearly five years and now she’ll be at the best place to see music in town. This is going to be awesome.

I’ve also decided that it’s going to be my goal to have my picture taken with her. This shouldn’t be too much of a struggle. I’ve actually met Kelly before after shows (back when I spent most of my free time at Fitzgerald’s) and while she won’t remember me at least I can mention shows she played where there were only a couple dozen of us in the crowd. Plus, she knows some of my friends in Austin fairly well. And Michelle owes me a few favors so all of this should hopefully mean my actually getting my picture taken with one of my Perfect Mates. (And before someone thinks I’m going to go off the deep end I’ve met Kelly’s husband Bruce a couple of times as well.) Really, all I’m looking for is to be in front of the stage listening to music that has gotten me through tough times for years. I can’t wait.

No comments: