Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Yowzers Cavey....


I’ve spent the past few weeks working on my television pilot and I’ve started to worry about how in the world I am going to pitch this thing. I mean, I’m a recovering electrical engineer who is still more comfortable with numbers than words trying to figure out a way to sell a story idea. And this isn’t just trying to impress some girl at the end of a bar by acting like a writer, this is the real deal. They spend all day thinking about quality entertainment. How in the world am I supposed to compete with that?

And then today I read that ABC has picked up the sitcom based on the caveman from the Geico commercial and I think….well, actually the first thing I think is that I don’t even know why I bother getting out of bed in the morning. Since the world seems to have lost all sense of responsibility I don’t know why I have to be the only one to put in an effort to confront entropy. But the second thing I think of is that I am going to have no problem at all getting my own television series made. Seriously, my biggest concern now is what font I’m going to use in the opening titles.

Because let’s be serious here, a full sitcom about cavemen? It was silly when they made the pilot but basically any idea can have a pilot made. But they actually got picked up and placed on the fall schedule. Not only is this a one joke premise that can barely make it through a thirty second commercial they aren’t even using the best pitchman from the company that inspired it. I would much rather watch a show about a talking gecko. There’s probably a lot of untapped humor there, what with him being a highly intelligent lizard and all. I mean, could we at least get a live action remake of Captain Caveman instead?

By the way, has anyone else pondered the fact that Captain Caveman went from being stuck in a block of ice to traveling around the country with three beautiful 18 year old girls? That might actually beat that dude from Coldplay whose married to Gwenyth Paltrow as the winner of the “Luckiest Bastard in the World” award. I mean, there are huge subplots and unspoken tensions evident in that storyline. Now that would make a great show.

Oh and I need to remind everyone that Friday night is National Bingo Night on ABC. Again, I am not making this up. The latest game show actually beats Deal or No Deal in terms of lack of intelligence required. Now the game is just one giant game of bingo. Nothing more, nothing less. I’m thinking of putting together a show called “The Flashing Lights and Loud Noises Excitement Hour”. Why even bother with the premise of a competition, we’re down to just watching people jump up and down because they can identify the number 14. It’s shows like this that make me buy complete seasons of Perfect Strangers on eBay at three in the morning.

No comments: