Monday, May 14, 2007

What a surprise, I didn't get the girl...


So I had to do a lot of work related stuff this evening and that meant that I didn’t get home until about eight. On my way in I felt what can only be described as millions of voices crying out in anguish and then suddenly going silent. And it was at that moment, without even needing to check the recording, that I knew that Ted and Robin had broken up on How I Met Your Mother.

(I’m not sure if that makes me a good Jedi or an evil Jedi. Somehow I have a feeling that the Sith do not look kindly on my using my Force powers to get reviews of television shows. Still, better than Tivo.)

Yes, in the season finale Marshall and Lily get married, Barney is Barney, and Ted and Robin break up. Oh, and this better just be the season finale. It is filmed in such a way that if it is the series finale there would be a sense of closure but I swear to God, if CBS cancels the show based on my life I am going to be pissed beyond belief. My life is sucky enough as it is right now, I really don’t need to discover that the slightly fictionalized version of it doesn’t reach the right demographics. And yes, I do take this personally.

Anyway, it’s not as if Ted and Robin breaking up comes as much of a surprise. Fans of the show, or anyone who was actually paying attention to the pilot, knows that Robin is Aunt Robin and doesn’t turn out to be the mom in the end. That’s been the idea all along, that when you want to meet the love of your life you don’t just go down to the bar and immediately meet her. Heck, even if you do fall in love it might not last for no reason other than you are on two very different paths in life. That’s one of the reasons that I really like the show. It’s realistic in that not every relationship turns into some movie quality romance or goes to pieces in such a way that innocent bystanders get injured by the shrapnel. Sometimes you are in love and realize that no matter what you do it’s just not going to work.

So while it is a bit of a bummer to have them break up the couple from a storyline perspective this is the best thing that they could have done. You may have noticed that I haven’t written about the show nearly as much this year mainly because it just hadn’t been as interesting. It did pick up over the last few months and the past few weeks were incredible but for the most part, having Ted and Robin together played havoc on the plotlines. You already have Marshall and Lily as a happy couple and having Ted happy a) reduces the dramatic tension around the protagonist and b) doesn’t really give Barney anything to do and as a rule your funniest character should always have something to do. Now at least we get to look forward to more adventures of Ted and Barney as they live the single life and start bar hopping again.

You know, I was wondering why the camera crew had started following me again…

No comments: