Wednesday, May 30, 2007

There are things even I won't collect...

You know, when you can’t win at trivia when there is a Star Wars category maybe it is time to hang up the old Magna Doodle. It’s not like I’m at the Willie Mays on the Mets portion of my career. More like I’m Obi-Wan Kenobi, I’m not the spry fighter that I once was and now survive mainly on wit and guile all the while wondering if I would be better off giving myself completely to the force. Also, I tend to walk around town a lot in a brown bathrobe muttering about Sandpeople.

Topic # 1: I have another story from Saturday night (besides my so completely failing to hit it off with this woman that it is still bugging me. It’s never good when you are telling yourself “Wow, I am completely blowing this” while you are actually having a conversation.) Anyway, we at the bar were joined late Saturday night by a bridal party. And not just the bridesmaids and various people in tuxedos. We even had the bride and groom with us.

That is a very strange sight, seeing a woman in a wedding gown at a bar at one in the morning. You would think that she would have a few other things that she would want to experience on her big night than hang out at a bar drinking. Or, in her case, doing shots at one end of the bar while her husband was on the other. I’m not sure if you can question a marriage that is only twelve hours old but I’d have to say that is a very bad sign. Definitely an indication that someone would rather get married than be married.

Topic # 2: One of the sites that I hit to stay up to date on pop culture happenings, which has somehow become part of my job description, is buzzfeed.com. They aggregate a bunch of news stories and tap into what all the hipsters are talking about. Well, yesterday they posted a story that left me speechless. Apparently, there is an auction running on eBay in which you can purchase…how can I put this delicately…Neko Case’s unmentionables. Specifically, a vintage corset and a few other various sundry items. The scary thing is the bidding has already become rather heated. I can vaguely see the purpose of the sale (because if you all weren’t stealing music she wouldn’t have to sell her underwear) but I really want to understand the logic behind the bidder. Even I find it disturbing.

Topic # 3: The nice thing about not working on Monday was that I got to stay up watching VH-1 Classic’s alternative music block on Sunday night. Sadly, that is the only night they do it (though they do another broadcast at like 3 in the morning tonight). I still can’t believe that no one has figured out that showing late 80’s/early 90’s music videos late at night is a wonderful business model. I can guarantee there are people who would flip to that night after night for an injection of nostalgia. It might even be a better show than Pants Off Dance Off, though that is a high standard to compare yourself to.

Topic # 4: In the past two days I have driven to work while a) listening to alternative rock bands perform the theme songs to cartoons and b) listening to music from Cirque du Soleil. I feel very confident in saying that I am the only person on the planet who has experienced that. By the way, I’m adding Mary Lou Lord’s version of “Sugar, Sugar” to my cover song playlist. It’s bubblegum pop but it’s great bubblegum.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

another toy I want: Transformers Generation I Jetfire.