Wednesday, May 16, 2007

I might make syndication now...

My life has been renewed! Or more accurately, the show about my life has been renewed! Yes, How I Met Your Mother has been picked up for a third season thus providing my life with meaning for the first time in, well, months. I know that having all you look forward to in life be a sitcom starring Doogie Howser and that other girl from Buffy is probably a sign that I should take a deeper inventory of my life but I really don’t care right now. All I know is that there is theoretically a chance that Victoria from the first season will return from Germany and all will be right with the universe. Hell, I’m just happy that the universe was nice to me for a change.

For those who do study the new fall schedule you’ll see that The Class did not make the cut, which is kind of a bummer. I was really interested in finding out if that guy got together with that chick, or if that other dude hooked up with that other chick, or if the weird guy and strange girl did end up getting married. Ok, it wasn’t the most memorable show in the world but at least it was better than According to Jim, which is officially listed as “Status Uncertain.” Apparently, “Dependent on whether or not Jim Belushi can take out a third mortgage on his soul” is not something you want to publish in the newspaper.

CBS does have one very bizarre reality show on the horizon. Next fall we can look forward to Kid Nation as forty children will be placed in an abandoned New Mexico town and be forced to create a new society of their own. I’m not making this up. It’s like someone went, “You know Survivor is kind of like Lord of the Flies but you know what would be even better? Lord of the Flies.” They need to include a fat kid with glasses just so we can call someone Piggy all season. This seems to be one of the most disturbing ideas behind a show ever. I’ve seen stuff like this but they were at least designed as documentaries of experiments. This is a major network show. I don’t think that anyone watching is going to be hoping for the creation of an idyllic society. We’ll be cheering for open warfare. I don’t think the audience will be happy unless a twelve year old is scarred for life. Sadly, that’s pretty much the state of our society right now.

I read a great quote from Studs Terkel today in which he talked about the United States of Amnesia. That the American culture just doesn’t remember anything anymore. He hits on big things like no one remembers or understands the Depression or World War II, which is true though that is mainly an artifact of the aging population. My connection to the Depression is slightly better than the Civil War (in that one has black and white pictures that move while the other doesn’t) but both are just events. The bigger point is that we forget the lessons that we learned even in my own lifetime. Heck, we don’t even learn the lessons from this year. We’ve forgotten about Virginia Tech and are now reporting stories on how a two year old has obtained a gun permit. Maybe we’re descended from ostriches instead of monkeys.

No comments: