Thursday, March 15, 2007

Screw Jason Kidd and California

Virginia Commonwealth? We lost to freaking Virginia Commonwealth? A school whose mascot is…does anyone even know what their mascot is? Do they even have one? This is a sad day for a Duke fan. I didn’t expect much from this team. Definitely not a national championship. But I thought that we’d at least get past the first round. Oh, and I also thought that with seconds left in a tie game that Scheyer would, you know, guard the guy with the ball as opposed to letting him take an open jumper in the lane.

I should look at the positives here. My calendar for Saturday just opened up a lot so I’ll be able to celebrate St. Patrick’s Day whenever the hell I want. That is important as I expect things to be pretty insane. I talked to Jamie (one of my favorite bartenders) this week and we joked about how much she is dreading St. Patrick’s Day. While it’s a profitable day behind the bar it’s also busy and insane. This year is going to be worse. Not only do you have the regular St. Pat’s revelers but it’s also a Saturday and the weather is nice. I’ll be amongst the crowd, though mainly to put in my field reports discussing the number of arrests I see in front of me.

(True story, one year I saw the cops just tackle this guy who was walking in front of me. As I see them go to cuff them me and this guy next to me both start muttering “Use the taser. Come on, use the taser.” No matter how old I get, my life still resembles a Beavis and Butthead episode.)

(Other fun story from Jamie. While talking to her these other girls at the bar asked if I ever went to any of the other bars in the area. I said no because it’s Martini Corner and I’m not a martini type of guy, which caused Jamie to start laughing as she went, “Yeah, I don’t know how to make a martini out of beer.” I am at the point where even if I ordered something different the bartenders would still serve me my usual. I’m no longer allowed to change.)

Not much else to add this evening. The office was dead quiet as a lot of people took the day off and I’m taking tomorrow off so that I can watch basketball, get some work done on my car and make yet another attempt to reorganize my life. Oh, and I really should get started on my book. I haven’t started it, thus making that April 15th deadline pretty much unreachable. I’m still going to do the project, it’s just that the timeline has shifted. I have finished cataloguing all of the old posts and I’ve realized that a) none of my posts are ever about one thing, b) when in doubt I always break out Star Wars analogies and c) I think I’ve written more words about Britney than I have my beloved Lindsay. It’s that last point that bothers me.

Have a great weekend, enjoy St. Pat’s Day safely, and Go Irish (and Illini).

No comments: