Monday, March 05, 2007

Jeez, even Adam Curry would have been acceptible

(I know a few people are wondering about why I didn’t talk about Duke-Carolina last night. There are two reasons. Reason #1: I finished my workout with a minute left in the game so I didn’t actually watch the last thirty seconds of the game. Reason #2: Honestly, if you had a chance to throw an elbow in Tyler Hansborough’s face wouldn’t you do so? I’d certainly swing away.)

After checking out some reactions online apparently I was the only person who found The Winner to be funny. I’m sorry, but I pretty much find any show about a 32 year old who lives with his parents to be incredibly funny. It worked with Get a Life and it works today. (Admittedly, I think I was the only person who liked Get a Life as well.) I’m not saying that it is the greatest show ever produced but it is at least better than According to Jim. Hell, anything is better than According to Jim.

Including the Geico Cavemen Variety Hour. Not sure if every caught this story but they are apparently filming a pilot about the lives of the Cavemen in those Geico commercials. The basis of the show is to follow how they adapt to life in Atlanta. I’m not sure how they chose Atlanta, other than they looked at a list of most populous cities in alphabetical order and lazily picked the first one. Who am I kidding, this is the laziest idea for a show ever. It’s going to be a complete rip-off of Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer. Plus, while those commercials are funny for thirty seconds I have no idea how you make that a funny bit for a 30 minute episode, much less an entire season. But, this just tells me that I really need to get working on that pilot of mine. I’m pretty sure that the jury duty episode would sell the entire series.

I’ll stay with this television theme and talk about something I really don’t want to admit that I watch: The Surreal Life Fame Games. Not quite sure why I’m hesitant to admit this, I’m pretty sure that my Voltron confession has proven to the world that I am now embracing my geekitude. Heck, I’m one step away from appearing on the Sci-Fi Channel’s “America’s Next Top Dungeon Master”. Anyway, this edition of The Surreal Life takes people from past shows (Vanilla Ice, Ron Jeremy, Verne Troyer, Pepa and Andrea the chick from Playboy who is rather cool for a Playboy model) and has them competing against each other for prizes. These people are serious, too. I think that since they are admitting embarrassment by being on the show they feel they might as well win.

Anyway, in this weeks episode each of the contestants had eight hours to see how many celebrities could return their phone calls. This had a couple of people pimping out their rolodex while someone like Verne really didn’t want to compete because he didn’t want to bug his friends (who just happen to be people like Busta Rhymes and Ludacris). At the end the winner was judged based on how popular their celebrities were. Your guest judge? Kennedy.

Yes, that Kennedy. The one from Alternative Nation. The one you despised from Alternative Nation. The one where you thought, “Well, she’s vaguely attractive but odds are she’s going to try to run me over in the parking lot.” Apparently, she still has a job in radio, is a professed pop culture expert (please, leave that to professionals like myself) and hosts her own reality talk show. You would think that over time she would have mellowed with age. Sadly, after watching her for five minutes I once again had that familiar feeling of wanting to smack her across the back of her head with a shovel.

Come on VH-1. Would it have killed you to hire Tabitha Soren for a day? Sure, she might not be a “pop culture expert” but at least I’d like to see her again.

No comments: