Monday, March 26, 2007

Same old popcorn machine...



So, as the above pictures show, I was back in South Bend this weekend. (Thanks to Rodolfo for the pictures, by the way). One is of course my homing beacon, otherwise known as the sign for the Backer. The other is of myself standing where once they start putting up memorial plaques documenting my life a rather large historical marker will be placed. Possibly the only one in existence that would begin with the phrase “Dude, you will never believe this…”

(As I told someone over the weekend, it’s tough for me to discuss my last semester of business school in polite company because ninety percent of my stories begin with “So we were hanging out at the Backer…”)

(Oh, despite what Rodolfo claimed, I am not wearing the exact same shirt I wore four years ago. It is just more of a bluish-green than the blue polo I used to wear. Otherwise, it really is just me with new glasses and a couple more pounds. Also, for those of you who were wondering, see, here is actual proof that I occasionally do smile.)

Anyway, the reason I was in town is that the MBA program held a conference on leadership and I decided to attend for a variety of reasons. First off, I was intrigued by the speakers and the conference. I’ll write about them later this week but let’s just say that they really made you think about just what your potential really is. But the main reason is that I just wanted to get back to South Bend. I hadn’t been in town for a year and a half and I needed to see if being back there would add some perspective to my life.

Of course, perspective meant a trip to the Backer pretty much immediately upon arrival. I did attend the reception for the conference but must admit that as the ND Glee Club walked in I walked out, acting as if I had just received a phone call. That let me walk into the backer and see the Rodolfo and Judd were already there. Donna was behind the bar and greeted me with a hug and a beer, which means that I am still a regular at a bar in a town I haven’t lived in for years. A few minutes later Rosemary walked in the door and we had a mini-reunion on our hands. It was one of those classic Backer nights where it feels like no one is there but everyone who is there I knew. It really felt the same way as it did four years ago.

And it definitely did when I had one of the strangest déjà vu experiences of my life. We had all just sat down at the bar, in our usual seats, and were ordering drinks and burgers and joking around. From my seat I could watch the door and was thinking that this is really like old times. Especially when five minutes later the dude who always came to the Backer to sit down at the end of the bar with something to read came in. Does anyone other than me remember this dude? He was kind of like my dopplegager. About my height with glasses but with dark, wavy hair? Thanks to Joey I remembered that his name is Cordell and I swear this guy was there whenever I was at a bar in South Bend. And he always had something to read. A newspaper, some printouts from the web, there was always something in his hands. Seeing him was like walking into a time warp. I was scared to death about who else might walk through that door.

It really was great to just hang out at the bar and talk with friends and watch the ball games. Even though I hadn’t seen any of them for more than a year we immediately fell into our old positions and made the same jokes we always made. When I think about business school I don’t think about the classes or what I learned, I remember the moments of just hanging out with the brightest and most interesting people that I have ever known. Getting to have that moment again was worth the airfare, even if it was only for one night.

(Oh, and for those who need details. Backer is basically the same though they now have some flat screen televisions. Also, they changed the trivia machine to the type I hate where you have to bet points. I mean, “Dr. Wang” still has the high score but I liked the old school machine better. I should have just bought it from them when I had the chance. I‘ll post more pictures from my trip throughout the week.)

(Also, thanks for all of the comments on yesterday’s post. I have thought about teaching and have always wanted to work for a school or a non-profit at some point in my career. I just don’t know a) how to go about it and b) if I could deal with the pay cut. Which is sad in so many ways. What has been getting me is that a few months ago I asked myself “Am I wasting my life?” and my answer was “Probably.” And you don’t sleep too well after having that exchange.)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

"don't know a)how to go about it" is just an excuse to not get started. Pick up the phone or pay a visit to an old professor of yours. Don't BS yourself.

"b)if I could deal with the pay cut" could be more problematic. You've got to figure that one out for yourself.

You've posted a lot about doing something meaningful with your life and not wasting it. I think that the more soul-inspiring, uplifting things you can do in life are to be in service to God and to others. That is why helping out in NOLA felt so good for you. It's selfless, not selfish. And there's probably no better time to reflect on this than during Lent.

Unfortunately, I have not seen that many professions where you can be in service to God and others AND make a six-figure salary. They just don't seem to co-exist in the same universe. So you probably have a choice to make somewhere in your future. It's no small thing. Seriously, good luck.

Anonymous said...

Vive le Backer.

Anonymous said...

what happened to your dream job of piloting the green lion for the Voltron crew?

ever hear of that guy who was bored with his engineering job so he decided to build a full size Mechwarrior robot/treehouse in his backyard? its pretty sweet.