Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Just saw someone fly past on a bicycle

As I’ve been trying to catalog the blog I have had a great challenge in defining those entries when I write about a half dozen different topics. I’ve settled to occasionally just listing them as “Random Stuff”. Tonight is one of those nights.

Topic #1: I have to hand it to this town, when it rains it freaking rains. I think they issued a monsoon warning tonight. It’s nice though as the part of my neighborhood that floods is downstream from me so when I was walking back from trivia I could just follow the current (as opposed to battling it, as I am so often want). Has anyone else ever wondered how strange weather is when you think about it? We have no problems with sheets of water appearing out of nowhere, electricity emanating from above, or huge funnel clouds appearing and destroying everything in their path. We all assume that this is normal, it’s just the weather, but isn’t it bizarre at its essence. That occasionally you’ll get huge circular winds that send cows flying and it just happens. I know this sounds like something you discuss while sitting in a dorm room but for some reason I’ve just been fascinated by how easily humans have adapted to seemingly illogical situations.

Topic #2: It dawned on me at the concert last night that I haven’t seen my stalker for a few months. And I have to say that I am very sad and upset by this development. Have I done something wrong? I mean, who wouldn’t want to continue to stalk me? It was one of those great constants in my life, if I went to a show she would be there. With her camera. And we would proceed to have a wordless battle as we tried to see who could get closest to the stage. Sure, she frightened me at times but at least it was attention.

Topic #3: I thought I had seen everything while driving through KC but today I saw something that I never expected. It was a VW bug decorated with Hello Kitty imagery. And we’re not talking about a bumper sticker here, I mean an entire door was taken up with a fluorescent pink Hello Kitty. And the girl driving the car didn’t seem to be the Hello Kitty type. Just looked like the typical girl in her early twenties. It’s unique and everything (and I’ll never complain about anyone deciding to be unique) but I’m not sure what type of image it portrays. To me it shows that she is really into hip, ironic Japanese culture. To the rest of this town they probably think that she is either a) twelve years old or b) a cult member.

Topic #4: One last random news story that I want to write about (and I’m doing this based solely on headlines so don’t expect in depth analysis here). Did anyone catch the story about the eight year old who was 218 pounds? It was in the news because there was an argument as to whether the state could take the kid away from the mom if this level of obesity equated to child abuse. I’m not going to make any argument there since I didn’t read the story. However, how the hell could an eight year old be 218 pounds? I didn’t break 200 until I turned thirty and when I hit 218 last year I looked in the mirror and saw how fat I was and went out and lost 20 pounds. And I’m a hell of a lot taller than an eight year old.

Really, how in the world do you get that heavy? Do you eat sticks of butter for breakfast or something? I know that I’m different than a lot of people in that when I get stressed I stop eating but my god, 218 pounds when you’re in second grade? That said, he might make a good defensive tackle if he doesn’t have a heart attack before he turns sixteen.

No comments: