Monday, February 05, 2007

A different kind of hangover

I’ve slowly recovered from the events of last night. Every once in a while I still catch myself screaming, “No Rex! Don’t throw the ball!” At work I thought about it and decided that IM needs a new status icon. They have one for in the office and one for out of the office. What they need is one for “In the office but mentally devastated.” You know, something to let everyone know I might respond to questions with mutterings about a bullshit holding call.

Richard Roeper mentioned something that I thought about last night, which is that this is the first time I’ve ever seen a Chicago team lose a championship game. We’ve lost playoff games but until last night if a Chicago team was playing for the title they would win. I’ve never seen my team lose one of those games before. Well, except for my Illini against Carolina two years ago. And the Chicago Fire lost a title game as did the Bruisers in the original Arena Bowl. As did the Blackhawks in a Stanley Cup Final against the Penguins. And while this isn’t a Chicago team but I’ve seen Duke lose on Monday night on several occasions. So I guess what I’m saying is that a) Roeper was wrong and b) I should be pretty used to this by now.

(Haven’t talked about Duke much this season as I’ve decided that I can’t have a post that consists entirely of profanity. I’ve been following this team for twenty years and while this isn’t the worst team I’ve seen they certainly are the most annoying. They just aren’t fun to watch. The team that lost so many games that Coach K claimed that he was injured at least was interesting. This year’s squad just plays an ugly form of basketball. The Illini aren’t much better and watching them tends to result in damage to my apartment. And ND’s best player is off the team due to a pot bust. This just isn’t my year.)

So yeah, I’m not exactly in a great place mentally right now. It doesn’t help that I blindly assumed this morning that the coffee in the decaf pot was, in fact, decaf. I’m pretty confident that it was not. Or at least the fact that I spent the afternoon with no appetite, a blinding headache, heart palpitations and a slight feeling that my mind had become separated from my body would seem to indicate that this was the case. Yeah, when I say that I drink decaf because of doctor’s orders it really isn’t a joke. My body just can’t handle high levels of caffeine anymore.

That little fact has influenced more people’s impressions of me over the past few years than anything else. Not that people are watching me get coffee, it’s how I’ve had to live my life in the six years since I quit cold turkey. It’s why in B-School that people thought I was more of a nerd than I actually am. I was the guy who was always on top of every assignment. I’d start studying for tests days ahead of time. People assumed that this was because I was a grade grubbing geek. Ok, that might be true but mainly it was because I couldn’t stay up late the night before studying so I had to be prepared ahead of time.

Switching gears, I want to make a quick mention of some shows I saw over the weekend. Saw Lindsay Buckingham on Friday and John Prine on Saturday. First thing is that John Prine sold out and Lindsay didn’t, which makes absolutely no sense to me. Lindsay has sold tens of millions of discs as a member of Fleetwood Mac while John Prine, and I’m not making this up, used to deliver my mail. I liked Lindsay’s show better, mainly because he did something that is brave and kind of unexpected. He didn’t go up there and play a greatest hits set. He still played songs that everyone knew but he reinterpreted them and made them fresh. His version of Tusk sounded like it was being played by The Pixies. And the guy is just an insanely good guitarist. For someone who could literally phone it in at this point in the career the guy is still daring and rocking out. Really, really impressive.

Especially for a concert that I bought a ticket for because I saw the word “Lindsay” on Ticketmaster and instinctively pressed buy.

No comments: