Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Destressing through consumerism

Does it bother anyone else that the year is already one-twelfth over? Seriously, did I miss the entire month of January? Even though I’ve documented every single thing that I have done during the month I still have no idea what happened. I’m pretty sure that New Year’s was last Monday. It really does bother me that time accelerates as you age. I’m very confident that the summer when I was ten years old lasted approximately three years. And one whole year of that is accounted for by sitting on my couch and watching Sale of the Century.

Things are going much nicer for me tonight so hopefully I won’t be suffering from undue stress. We won at trivia tonight, making two in a row and it could have been three if I hadn’t blown a tiebreaker question a few weeks back. (My weakness for Dorothy Parker, or more accurately, my weakness for Jennifer Jason Leigh portraying Dorothy Parker, came back to haunt me.) I swept a Super Bowl trivia category, even knowing who is calling the coin toss on Sunday. For the record, I will once again be placing money on the coin toss. I figure it’s the safest bet on the board. I mean, tails never fails.

Plus, my Amazon order came in and this will provide me with much enjoyment. This is continuing my effort to cash in all of my loose change for Amazon gift certificates and thus fund my media collection. Picked up a bunch of CDs, to the point where I think I’m losing ground in the random CD project. Filled in some gaps in my Aimee Mann collection and picked up some Rilo Kiley, who were on Austin City Limits over the weekend and Jenny Lewis impressed me to the point that I wanted to pick up a couple of discs. Grabbed a couple of books: one on improving your personal productivity (which should just be titled “Stop being a lazy piece of crap”) and one on crowdsourcing and the wisdom of the masses. Maybe not the first choice of reading materials for most people but it’s a field I’m getting more and more involved in. But the biggest thing is I finally picked up my White Sox World Series DVD collection so I can spend all weekend watching every game in preparation for my next championship celebration.

Switching gears, I would like to make a request of the people of Kansas City. Maybe the Funkster could add this to his campaign pledges, given that he is bombarding me with emails and not once has he promised to reunite Sly and the Family Stone. We had an inch of snow tonight and it pretty much caused the city to stop. Seriously, my commute nearly doubled even though you could actually still see the concrete. I’d just like to make the following suggestions to the people who live here just so an inch of snow doesn’t cause the schools to close. First, it’s not a bad idea to have a scraper in your car and to use it when it snows. An inch of fluffy snow takes upwards of one minute to remove from your car and when you do so it means you can actually see out your windows. Thus, you don’t have to go five miles an hour while going “I can’t see the road.” You don’t know how much this bothers me. Do that and simply pay attention to what is going on around you and everything will be fine. You need a little more stopping distance and a slight bit more patience. Maybe some more intelligence, which admittedly is lacking at times in this town, but I’ll settle for distance and patience.

No comments: