Thursday, January 25, 2007

Much on my mind

This has been a rather long week for me for a simple but still important reason. Looking back at the calendar this is the first time in over six weeks that I’ve actually had to be in the office every day of the week. My streak of taking at least one day off a week started well before Christmas and between holidays and some traveling it continued through this week. While this was a lot of fun it means that getting back to a full work week is just a total pain in the ass. I could function very happily with a four day work week, though I doubt that they’d pay me the same.

And sadly, I’m kind of thinking that I need to take another vacation as I’ve been having recurring stress dreams the past few nights. I should probably explain this. One of the cool things that I’ve discovered about myself is that I have very vivid dreams and they are typically very indicative of my mental state. When I’m happy this means really cool dreams where I get to fly around and be all different types of awesome. But when I’m stressed I dream of having papers due, needing to take a final in a class I never attended or I have one like I did last night, which basically consisted of me having one long nervous breakdown because someone moved my bed to another room.

(Look, I didn’t say that my subconscious makes any sense. I just said that it indicates things.)

Without going into too much detail let’s just say that my life has been very tense recently. I have a lot of really big decisions to make very quickly and they are all occurring at a time of the year where I am never in a good state mentally. (Just a warning, you don’t want to deal with me in February. If you think I’m bitter to start with I get a lot worse when I haven’t seen the sun for two months.) Not quite sure how I’m going to handle all of this or how I will proceed. I just know that I have a two page list of things to do this weekend and other than “Write To Do List” none of them are easy to accomplish.

On the plus side, I get to do all of this while listening to the new Shins disc, which on first listen sounds very interesting. It’s probably going to be a huge seller and all the critics are already talking about how awesome it is so you have roughly five minutes to jump on the bandwagon. It is an evolutionary step for the band and given the pressure that they were under after Garden State it looks like they are one of the few bands who might live up to their promise. I’m going to see them in concert in a few weeks and it will be interesting to see how they play the new material as well as what the crowd is like. Last time I saw them it was with a bunch of high school kids because they had just been on the O.C.

That said, there is a very good chance I’ll end up lying on my couch and watching Pump Up the Volume again. And then jumping on Amazon to buy Heathers. Screw a novel, I should just write a career retrospective on Christian Slater. I could do a whole chapter on Gleaming the Cube, including a few pages on just what the hell the title means. And Chapter 7: “Can you build an entire career on a Jack Nicholson impression?”

No comments: