Thursday, January 04, 2007

Lindsay's rather daring weight loss strategy...

I’m taking one more day off before I finish off the concert list. The good news is that there are some interesting shows to write about so it should be a more enjoyable experience for all of us. Also, as I have done the past two years I will also be putting together a couple of CDs featuring every band that I saw this year whom I have at least one track from. Which means that I will be forced to include an Ani song this year (damn you, Paste CD sampler). If you want a copy of this or any of my other past CD collections just drop me a line.

Instead, time to do some topical discussions…

Topic # 1: We here at Batlling the Current would like to send get well wishes out to Lindsay Lohan, who had her appendix removed today. We wish her a speedy recover from this surgery and hope that the installation of the auxiliary liver was also successful and that in a few weeks she’ll be back to her fun-loving self. In lieu of flowers, the Lohan camp is requesting that bottles of Gray Goose be sent to the hospital room. I know I speak for everyone when I say that life would be much less interesting without my beloved.

(And no, this post isn’t being written from a candelight vigil held outside the hospital. Why do you ask?)

Topic # 2: I found out that today is National Trivia Day, which raises the question “Why the hell was I at work today?” Seriously, if there is anything close to a national holiday for me this would be it. Ok, maybe Pi Day would also suffice but this is more of a day meant to honor me. Yep, probably should have made a New Year’s resolution to cut down on the arrogance as well.

Topic # 3: I have to take issue with my friend Maygun’s grossly inaccurate article in the Pitch on the upcoming WWE show in Kansas City this weekend. First of all, Kurt Angle isn’t retired. He’s simply wrestling in TNA because the WWE fired him for health reasons. Also, if you were watching Rey Mysterio and the Undertaker then you were watching Smackdown, not Raw. It is a nuance to be sure but until you watch wrestling with that level of detail all you are doing is looking at large men hit each other. Still don’t know what is more interesting, the fact that I know someone who writes for the Pitch or that I didn’t even have to look up any of the wrestling facts that I mentioned.

Topic # 4: To whoever texted me at three in the morning on New Year’s Eve I would like to pass along the following notes. 1) Thanks for the message. 2) I have no clue who you are because you’re not in my phone book and 3) Technically, at three in the morning I’m past welcoming in the new year and am at the point where I’m actively complaining about how much this year sucks. But it’s the thought that counts.

Topic # 5: I’m trying to work the following into a short story and I need help from the audience. The idea is that a group of guys are discussing the fact that all strippers are named after either a) minerals or b) drinks. Hence all of the Sapphires and Diamonds and Tanquerays that you meet. Or theoretically meet. Anyway, I was trying to figure out what the funniest names would be using that convention. Here are my choices “Sierra Mist”, “Dr. Pepper”, “Quartz” and “Zinc”. Personally, I can see a great deal of humor in the line “Now appearing on the main stage, Dr. Pepper.”

Yeah, it’s been a long week… Have a great weekend everyone.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Any thoughts/comments on K-Fed versus John Cena?