Monday, January 15, 2007

An ice storm without Christina Ricci...

Just because I had a day off from work doesn’t mean I get to take a day off from the blog. For starters, the blog pays better…

Topic # 1: A travel story I forgot to mention yesterday. Leaving your car in a parking lot for two days while an ice storm passes by is not exactly the smartest thing in the world. Especially when you’ve been parking your car in a garage for the past three years. It’s not that I’m not used to scraping car windows, I’ve been doing that longer than I’ve been able to drive. It’s just that I haven’t done it for a while and man am I out of shape. It’s always fun when you start thinking things like, “Do I really need to see what is going on behind me?” However, I am proud that my Chicago upbringing had taught me to keep an ice scraper in my car at all times, even though it is disconcerting to people who ride in my car in July.

Topic # 2: As I was stressed out this weekend it really didn’t surprise me that I had my stress dream. Whenever my anxiety level is really high I have the same dream: I’m back in school and I have a test looming that I haven’t studied for and a paper (always on some bizarre science topic) that I haven’t even started due in like two days. Except that this time in addition to those two standbys I also had to write my novel. Wow, that might mark the most stress that I have ever encountered in my life.

Topic # 3: For those who don’t believe how word choice can influence opinion, pay attention to how 60 Minutes was promoted this week. They had a segment on the parents of the “boys” that were accused in the Duke lacrosse case. The word “boys” was specifically used and the connotations of that cannot be ignored. Boys imply ignorance and naivety or even a “boys will be boys” attitude. There is a definite implied innocence to that term. Now, the case against them should never have been made but that still doesn’t mean that a group of 20 year old guys should be called boys. Maybe it’s because we can’t use guys as an official description. Juniors in college aren’t really men but they definitely aren’t boys. Still, it’s fascinating how important one word can be in a report.

Topic # 4: Because of football, the weather and the long weekend I have spent way too much time in front of a television set recently. As a result, I feel personally responsible to make the following announcement. If they don’t stop airing those damn McDonald’s Dollar Menuaires commercials someone is going to get hurt. First of all, they are not hip. Second, I don’t want to hear about how some chick has gained a mantourage because she ordered French fries, unless it is my beloved and that is just because it would be a good sign that she is eating again. Finally, anything that puts Ben Seaver back on my television screen is a bad idea. If I am forced to watch forming Growing Pains actors can’t we at least bring back Tracey Gold?

Topic # 5: How I Met Your Mother was a rerun once again but I did bother to stay tuned to The Class and I have to say, the show has gotten a lot funnier than it was at the start of the season. I had given it a shot and gave up on it out of boredom but it had some great laugh out loud moments. Or at least I can relate to the looking at the phone and waiting for it to ring. Hell, I’m pretty sure that everyone can relate to that, they just were funnier about it than usual.

No comments: