Monday, January 08, 2007

The future's so bright...

Back to our usual writing schedule. I still have one more “Look Back at 2006” piece to go, this time focusing on the books that I read over the year. I didn’t initially mean for this to turn into a major retrospective, I always planned on writing about books and concerts but somehow I have a feeling that if I don’t put an end to it now in March I’ll be writing something about “The five best vending machine snacks I purchased in 2006”.

(Have to go with the Hershey Bar with Almonds on that one. Tasty and you get to tell yourself “It’s got almonds in it. Almonds are healthy. I mean just disregard the pound of chocolate that surrounds them.”)

As many of you may know, my apartment looks out over a parking lot. Obviously I did not splurge for the scenic view but then again, this is Kansas City, I’m not quite sure what the scenic view would be of. I think I live as far away from a body of water or a change of elevation or hell, a tree, as is humanly possible. So, while the view could be better it’s never really bothered me all that much. Until recently that is.

See, this parking lot contains a couple of street lights that historically have been kind of flaky. Sometimes they are on, sometimes they are off and occasionally they’ll just start flickering and I get this strobe light effect in my bedroom. (Actually, that is pretty freaking sweet.) Again, just one of those things like upstairs neighbors who apparently decide to celebrate one in the morning by jumping up and down in combat boots that just comes with apartment living. Well, sometime over the holiday they went ahead and finally fixed the streetlights and installed new bulbs. Really bright new bulbs. Insanely bright bulbs. Like someone decided to focus a spotlight on my building.

I’m not kidding here, I don’t have to turn on the lights when I walk into my apartment because it is being lit by the street. While I don’t mind the fact that my electric bill is lower because of this it does make sleeping a bit more of a challenge. Or just relaxing as whenever I turn there is this pulsating light beaming into every room of my apartment. I swear I’m this close to breaking out the old slingshot. Or purchasing some 60 watt bulbs and replacing them myself.

Not much else to note. Florida is winning and by my math that should make Boise State the national champions. And on How I Met Your Mother putting Barney in Dirty Dancing was both inspired and disturbing at the same time. I’m still not sure if I’m happy that they’ve med Ted four years younger than I am. That said, no one can ever correctly guess my age anyway so whatever works to get the story sold works for me.

No comments: