Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Global....damn

You know, I thought about live blogging the State of the Union address tonight but I tend to throw more things at the television set during that than I do during the Bears game. Anyway, some thoughts on a number of topics.

Topic # 1: For a moment there I thought that we were about to witness a historic moment during the president’s speech. I really thought that he was actually going to say the words “global warming.” Instead, we at least got him to say “global climate change.” Hey, we’ll take it one small step at a time. Though at this pace we’ll accept that global warming exists roughly when we cancel the Winter Olympics because there is no longer any snow.

Topic # 2: I was just glancing at the screen during the democrat’s response by the new senator from Virginia and something caught my eye. He had the state flag of Virginia behind him and you could just make out the state motto of “Sic Semper Tyranus” or for those of you who don’t speak state mottoes “ Thus Always to Tyrants.” This also happens to be what John Wilkes Booth shouted when he shot Lincoln. It says something about our country that we feel this is perfectly fine to have emblazoned on our flag.

Topic # 3: So the Oscar nominations were released today and given that I haven’t seen many movies this year I can’t really comment on many of them. However, I am concerned by the Eddie Murphy versus Mark Wahlberg competition for Best Supporting Actor. Mainly, I don’t know if I can live in a world where The Nutty Professor is an Oscar winner. I’m actually pulling for Marky Mark in this one, if just for the outside chance that his victory speech will include the phrase “And I’d like to thank The Funky Bunch.” Well, at least Penelope Cruz got nominated so I’ll have something to look at during the ceremony. Ok, leer at.

Topic # 4: I don’t have the exact address of the place that Brad and Angelina have purchased in the French Quarter but I have it on pretty good authority that it is near the French Market, possibly on Decatur. I consider this to be very good news in that during one news report the house they showed looked dangerously similar to the place that I want to buy down there and sadly, was in the right price range. It’s tough having a dream home that you need to win the lottery to afford. To win the lottery and then outbid Brad Pitt is asking too much of one man.

Topic # 5: I’d like to thank the Cook County court system for allowing Tank Johnson to travel to the Super Bowl in two weeks. Sure, he may have violated the terms of his probation but that doesn’t mean he can’t play defensive tackle in the biggest game in twenty years. This decision was in doubt for a moment but remember, this is Cook County we are talking about here. You got to give it up for any courthouse that has the motto “Reasonable doubt for a reasonable price.”

No comments: