Monday, January 29, 2007

Our Communion Hymn is "Bullet the Blue Sky"

Stress dream from last night #1: Dreamt that I walked back to my car to find a guy breaking into it and stealing my stereo.

Stress dream from last night #2: Dreamt that I had a calculus test in a few days that I hadn’t studied for and between now and the test I had to fly to England and back to give a presentation.

Not quite sure why the second one stressed me out. I mean, I’d obviously would have a lot of dead time on the plane where my only other option would be to watch unfunny Jim Carrey films (not as if there is any other kind). That would give me plenty of time to study and run problems. Really don’t see much of a challenge there at all. Still, I find it interesting that even though it’s been three and a half years since I’ve been in school and more than a decade since I’ve had a test where I was worried about math problems that when I get stressed out my subconscious immediately sends me back to school.

(This does mark several weeks worth of stress dreams. I really need a vacation. Or sunlight. Either would be beneficial right about now.)

Saw this news article today and felt that it would be interesting to talk about. A church in England has decided to replace its normal hymns with U2 songs. Written like that it sounds like one of those bad Folger’s coffee commercials from the eighties. “We’ve replaced their normal hymns with songs by a sometimes bombastic rock band. Let’s see if the parishioners notice the difference.” Now, ignoring the whole fact that this is just a pretty transparent ploy to try to make church seem hip and interesting while not offering any real source of solace, there are some U2 songs that would really fit in here. Back in the early 80’s U2 was viewed as almost a Christian Rock band except that they had good songs. Gloria is religious in nature and 40 is based on Psalm 40 (and was an awesome set ender back in the day.) Toss in One and Beautiful Day and you’ve got a service.

Of course, I read this and think of what would be the worst possible U2 songs to use in church. “I Threw a Brick Through a Window” is probably not one you would want to use in a place with a lot of stained glass. “Elvis Presley and America” probably wouldn’t work given that I’ve listened to the song for twenty years and still couldn’t tell you what the hell it means. Personally, I would go with “Lemon” as the worst possible song if only because it would require the entire congregation to sing in a bad falsetto. That or anything from Pop, though that would be less religious and more pure torture.

I’ll end on a sad note. I would like to wish a fond farewell to Barbaro: Kentucky Derby winner, Deadspin’s 2006 SportsHuman of the Year, and beloved by women with inordinately large numbers of cats everywhere. I have never seen so much emotional attachment to a horse before. The Barbaro message board, which featured people writing get well messages to a horse that, unless I missed something, did not know how to read, is a sociology paper just waiting to be written. Still, he was a darn good racehorse. See you on the other side.

No comments: