Tuesday, January 16, 2007

Every day a snow day

Apparently I am still stressed out by the events of this weekend. Had a dream last night in which I a) woke up at 9:30 and realized I was horribly late for work and b) while getting dressed to leave I looked back at the clock and saw that it was 10:30 and that I was totally screwed. I seriously dreamt of running through my morning routine and freaking out about how I was going to get fired until I told myself, “Wait a minute, I’m dreaming, aren’t I.” And then I woke up, relieved to find that I would get to go back to sleep just to wake up and go to work in the morning. Ok, maybe relief isn’t the best word, more like amused detachment.

(Oh, and a hint to see if you are dreaming or not. If you see a clock or a piece of paper look at it and then look at it again. It will never say the same thing twice and sometimes the words will start moving on you. Usually when I do this I get to stay lucid for a while and have an experience that for most people requires a trip to Tibet and/or heavy chemicals.)

This town still confuses me at times. A number of schools were closed today and will still be closed tomorrow even though it isn’t snowing and the roads are fine. The official reason is that it is in the single digits and it is too cold for the kids to go to school. I know this is going to sound like “back in my day” but, well, back in my day we didn’t close school for cold unless there was a thirty below wind chill. For single digits we were told to dress in layers and wear a hat. (This explains my look today, when it is cold I don’t give a damn about style.) KC kids get more snow days than anyone in the country, though I think this means that they have to be in school until July.

Changing gears, as my concert list clearly showed a majority of my paycheck goes to the Ticketmaster corporation, who are possibly my least favorite people on earth. I have an issue with a business that at one point charged me twelve bucks for a five dollar concert. And canceled a show but kept their three dollar processing fee because I used their website. But, being a frequent purchaser does have its advantages. Such as the free gift certificate I received last week for being such a loyal customer.

A $15 gift certificate to QVC.

Wow, that just makes my customer experience so much better. Seriously, QVC? You couldn’t pay me to shop at QVC. Hell, that’s what Ticketmaster is trying to do and it’s not working. There are so many other ways to at least not make me think that your company is pure evil but this isn’t one of them. Got to love a monopoly trying to make people think better of them, though.

(Oh, and on the title of last night’s post: what the hell happened to Christina Ricci? She was one of the most promising actresses of her group and she just fell off the map. Natalie Portman kept on getting good roles but Ricci just disappeared. Really, really odd. And sad given that I read today that someone has decided to let Tara Reid star in another movie.)

No comments: