Thursday, June 08, 2006

Who was Strawberry Shortcake's arch-enemy?

Time to close out the week…

1) Back to back trivia wins the past two nights. Admittedly we probably shouldn’t have won tonight (two other teams made poor betting decisions) but hey, I’ll take excellence any way that I can get it. It helped that the final category was “Supreme Court Chief Justices” and three of the people on my team are attorneys. The two questions that I most impressed people with my knowledge of was “Who is the only U.S. president who wasn’t a U.S. citizen when he died?” (John Tyler) and “In the cartoon JabberJaw, what was the name of the band?” (The Neptunes)

2) Ok, knowing that the band was The Neptunes was acceptable since JabberJaw was that big shark who played drums. However, I have no idea how I knew that the other answer was John Tyler. We had seconds to come up with an answer and when in doubt on a question about a president apparently my first instinct is to go with John Tyler. The odd thing is that even when I wrote it down I thought that I was right. I had no idea but somehow that was the first name that popped into my head when I heard the question. I’ve come to the conclusion that my subconscious is sometimes a lot better at answering questions than my conscious mind.

3) Though I have to say, it is strange that even in a trivia contest I’ve been a) called a nerd and b) told that “Dude, you really need a girlfriend”. Somehow that is like going to a comic book convention and being told by a guy in a Green Lantern t-shirt that you lack social skills. And then arguing with him over which version of the Green Lantern is better, which is Hal Jordan obviously.

4) Pandora is now deciding that I should listen to Trey Anastatio and again I am bummed by the fact that I really liked the song. But just to show that I am not entirely into hippie jam bands I have decided not to make my way to Wakarusa this year. For the most part, the band list just isn’t that strong this year. There are a group of bands that I’ve seen in the past year or so (Cracker, Gomez, Keller Williams, Bela Fleck, Robert Randolph and the Family Band) and one band that I should see at some point in time (The Flaming Lips). None of that is enough to make me stand in a field with hippies for a few days. Especially since the state troopers had set up a checkpoint on the expressway leading to the site, which must be really upsetting to the crowd. Plus there is going to be more security this year and well, in some instances that is not always a good thing.

5) Finally, the World Cup starts this weekend and I’ve decided that since the Irish didn’t qualify this year I am going to put my full support behind the Czech Republic team, which has somehow made it’s way into being one of the best in the world. Sure, they are also playing the U.S. but you’ve got to cheer for the small countries. Of course, it is three weeks of games just so Brazil can win again but hey, it’s the only time you’ll need to worry about soccer for four years.

No comments: