Monday, June 26, 2006

Hawkmoon

I am not even going to try to make a cohesive thought out of the following ideas.

1) While at work I found out the following (and I swear to God, I was actually doing something work related when I stumbled upon this fact), there is a wedding chapel inside the Mall of America. This means that there are people, sane people, people who are allowed to operate heavy machinery, who decide that the best place for them to express their undying devotion for each other is… inside a mall. Specifically, a huge mall in Bloomington, Minnesota with its own theme park and aquarium. Maybe that’s how the thought process works, “Well, we’ve already looked at the fish and ridden the roller coaster, want to get hitched?” Vegas I can understand because you can always claim it was spur of the moment but here it’s like you just decided to stop in on your way to Orange Julius.

2) Has anyone ever stopped at an Orange Julius? I mean, in the history of the planet? Or that pretzel shop that is in every other mall? I believe their business model is to find enough people dumb enough to sign up for a franchise agreement. But what do I know, I sit in a box all day.

3) So Erik Johnson was the number one pick of the St. Louis Blues in the NHL draft this weekend. I’m kind of surprised by this pick. Sure, Ah Via Musicom was an awesome album and dude, I could listen to Cliffs of Dover for a good decade and not get bored with it but that still isn’t reason to make him your number one selection. But who knows, maybe he also happens to be a good defenseman.

4) Listening to Rattle and Hum today made me realized just how funny Bono is when he is in earnest mode. You can’t listen to Silver and Gold or All Along the Watchtower anymore without laughing. I know I was impressed by it fifteen years ago but now it just seems so over the top and theatrical that it resembles Spinal Tap more than anything. “Am I bugging you? I didn’t mean to bug you.” That said, look at anything that I did fifteen years ago and you’d be laughing your ass off as well. It might have been a failed experiment, but a failed experiment that contains Desire and All I Want is You is a worthwhile one.

5) It’s been requested that I go ahead and put together Battling the Current: Volume Two, which I kind of promised to do a month ago but then conveniently forgot about. So expect another disc available free of charge in the next month or so. My goal is to not repeat any artists though I’ll admit that I might have to cheat here or there. Here’s a preview of the playlist. It will start with Social Distortion’s “Ball and Chain” (which also happens to be my ringtone) and will end with Sufjan Stevens’ “Chicago”. Where it goes in between is anyone’s guess. Though probably there won’t be another Julie Delpy song.

6) Another housekeeping note: there might be a few test posts popping up over the next few days. I’m playing around with the system a little so if you see something that looks out of place (as in it is incredibly well written and funny), that’s just a test.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Did you see how the NHL draft was dominated by Minnesotans? (Relatively speaking) Erik is the first American picked #1 since Rick DiPietro and along with Kyle Okposo, Pete Mueller and David Fischer were top picks.

Ironically Erik grew up in Bloomington, MN about 10 miles from the Mall Of America which, in addition to the wedding chapel, aquarium and amusement park also has a college and coming soon...an ice skating rink...though I sincerely hope that a future NHL draft pick doesn't tell the press he played pond hockey at the Mall. Something about that just doesn't sound right.