Sunday, June 25, 2006

Stuck in a time warp

Point to ponder: Is rock and roll really the best foundation to build a city on? Personally, I feel that solid bedrock near the edge of a river is the best place to build a city. Rock and roll would probably rank just above Indian burial ground in terms of city formation locales.

(And it is still the worst song of all time. Seriously, people give “I’m too sexy” crap but don’t mention the monstrosity that is Starship. At least the Alan Parsons Project was some sort of hovercraft.)

I need to make an addendum to the KFC bowls discussion. In addition to it being a bowl of mashed potatoes combined with corn and fried breaded chicken pieces it is also topped with gravy. This is being marketed as a time saving meal, in the “Why wait until you’re fifty to have a heart attack?” sense of the term. This is up there with the Bacon, Egg and Cheese Biscuit at McDonald’s which my buddy in college (who actually managed a McDonald’s) described as “basically a heart attack on a bun.”

I know, I know, I still eat fast food. But I’ve really cut down this year in my weight loss efforts and I’m telling you, it is a good area to eliminate from your diet if you want to lose weight. Other than missing McDonald’s French fries, which have been an addiction of mine since I was six, I can safely say that I can live without mass produced food being served by the lowest portion of the employed society. (Another thing I learned from the McDonald’s manager: you can always tell the strength of a local economy by your service at McDonald’s. The better the service, the worse the economy. Because if you are a go-getter and can only get work at McDonald’s it means that there really are no jobs out there.)

England moved on today, in a game that really wasn’t worth waking up for. Man, was that first half brutal. Just some of the ugliest soccer that I’ve seen. But, we did get a goal by Beckham, which meant that we were given numerous Spice Girl shots and references. We also got to see Beckham dehydrate and start heaving on the pitch, which is something you just don’t see enough of in sports. Especially since he kept on playing. Baseball would be so much more interesting if guys were keeling over, coughing up a lung, and then batting in the next inning.

Oh, and I heard this while driving and listening to the Brewers-Royals game. (Yeah, for some reason I didn’t consider it a big ticket series that I needed to attend.) The Brewers have a player named Corey Hart, which brings up the obvious question of whether he wears sunglasses when he plays a night game.

(I’m almost ashamed of myself by that reference. Not as ashamed that I couldn’t remember who sang the eighties hit, “Sometimes I feel like somebody’s watching me” (Rockwell for those who are interested with Michael Jackson on backup), but ashamed nonetheless. To append something I wrote to Super Dave last week, sometimes I feel that at the end of my life all I’ll have to show for it is knowledge of statistical modeling techniques, a mental database of every one hit wonder ever recorded, and the ability to retrieve the Babel fish in the Hitchhiker’s Guide game. And that last one took me months to achieve.

The five random CDs for the week (featuring bands people actually have heard of for once):
1) Coldplay “Parachutes”
2) U2 “Rattle and Hum”
3) Josh Rouse “Nashville”
4) Liz Phair “whitechocolatespaceegg”
5) Robbie Fulks “Couples in Trouble”

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

rock, yes. roll, no.