Thursday, June 22, 2006

Just trying to survive the week...

You know, it is surprisingly satisfying to find out that you’ve lost a trivia contest because you can’t identify a Led Zeppelin song. I know that it is my goal to know everything possible but if I go my entire life without knowing a single Zeppelin song, including blanking out on Stairway to Heaven occasionally, I think that I would consider it at the end a life worth living. God I hate that band.

So after all of my interest in the World Cup both the U.S. and the Czech Republic fail to advance. Apparently you do not want me cheering your team in this tournament. I can’t believe that the U.S. couldn’t even beat Ghana. True, we couldn’t find the country on a map but with two hundred odd million people in this country you think that we could find a dozen who actually enjoy playing soccer. And would it kill us to put Howard in goal? He only plays for Manchester United so there is at least the possibility that he knows how to handle pressure.

On the plus side, the Australians and Mexico advanced. So I still have a few teams to cheer for. And there is always England because any team that features a player best known for being married to the least talented Spice Girl (and wow is that a loaded statement) is a team that you must watch.

We have a new Adam Sandler movie opening this week. In which he gets a universal remote that actually controls the universe, which is plot #7 in the Big Book of Plots. It’s like Bruce Almighty except with a remote and Christopher Walken. Here’s what is more depressing to me, Kate Beckinsale plays Sandler’s wife. Kate, who is on my top ten perfect mate list, stuck in an Adam Sandler film. Sadly, that is basically the way her career is going. Just a ton of mainstream dreck when a decade ago she was doing cutting edge indie work. Sure, she is a lot richer because of it but I liked the old version of Kate; the one who wasn’t hunting vampires in a sequel to a movie that no one gave a damn about in the first place.

Fast food note of the week: I think we have a new leader in the “most disgusting food item ever” race. The KFC bowl, which is basically their whole menu tossed into a bowl and called a meal. Mashed potatoes, chicken, corn, whatever else is left from last night, all mixed together. It’s less of a meal and more of what you yell at a five year old for doing. I think we’re at the point where we don’t even bother considering some things to be healthy, we just assume that it isn’t going to kill us this hour.

Well I think that this is going to be it for the night. I really need for the weekend to get here quickly. My batteries are in great need of refreshing. Sadly, I think I’ll have a two page to do list to tackle as well. Maybe I can just outsource a few more aspects of my life. If it works for corporations it should work for me.

No comments: