Monday, June 05, 2006

Question 2: Who is cooler: ninjas or pirates?

First, I need to remind everyone that Tuesday is National Beat Up an Emo Kid Day. I’m not kidding, there really is a day for everything. So remember that when you come across some schmuck listening to Good Charlotte you have the right, nay you have the responsibility to punch him in the face and yell, “Listen to some real music you idiot!”

(Of course, today Pandora decided that I should listen to Morrissey. You know, it’s really sad when a computer algorithm looks at your favorite music and goes, “God this guy is depressed. Might as well just play Morrissey and The Smiths for the next hour.”)

Honestly, I did come across National Beat Up an Emo Kid Day on Wikipedia. I also came across the best question that has been posed to me in years: Who would win in a fight Skeletor or Mumm-Ra? Answer at the end of the post.

I might as well discuss Cirque du Soleil as I did attend last week. How, why and where are less important than what it was like to place good old cynical me in the middle of magic and wonder. Now I am a cultured guy who reads Shakespeare, has classical musical in his CD collection and can discuss musical theater to a degree that I really do not like to admit in public. That said, I truly believe that you can’t call it a circus unless you have sad looking elephants, untrustworthy clowns and a sideshow that involves someone biting the heads off chickens. Because as a kid that is what I learned that the circus is about.

Yeah, it was not your average childhood.

Anyway, Cirque du Soleil was incredible. They are masters of having numerous things going on at once so that you are in a constant state of sensory overload. Wherever you look there is something going on in the background and the foreground. The music creates this strange mystical sense to all of it, mainly because you can never figure out what language they are singing in or how much of the music is live and how much is prerecorded (I met one of the guys in the band though and yeah, it’s live). And the acrobatics are just astounding. There are very few things that make me gasp but there were a few moments where I was like, “Jesus Christ, there is no way you should be able to pull that off. Or have the guts to do that 20 feet above a stage.” Really, really impressive. And in the end I think I figured out what the plot was. If there actually was a plot. A lot of the time it was hard to tell. Still, while going to it meant that I missed Nickel Creek I have to say that it was a unique experience.

(Oh, and on the Nickel Creek thread the new Ditty Bops CD comes out tomorrow. The Ditty Bops, part band, part sideshow, and the only stageshow I’ve ever seen to incorporate someone on stilts. Why that equates to buy the CD I’ll never know.)

(Ok, and after much deliberation I’ve decided that Mumm-Ra would totally kick Skeletor’s ass. Here’s my reasoning. There is no way that Mumm-Ra would allow someone like Beast Man to be his main henchman. After about the third time Beast Man bumbled away a chance to defeat either He-Man or Lion-O Mumm-Ra would decide that Beast Man would be best served by being turned into a throw rug. Instead, you have Skeletor and Beast Man forming this codependent relationship that was much too nuanced for an afternoon cartoon. Hence, Mumm-Ra would just destroy him.)

No comments: