Wednesday, June 07, 2006

It's all about the hair...

It dawned on me this morning that I have previously mentioned that my dream girl is an outgoing, energetic, life of the party type who also is a performer and is tall with red hair. That means that Ronette McDonald is the embodiment of my perfect mate. You really shouldn’t have to go to work after coming to that conclusion. It’s like you should just be able to call into work and say, “I’m sorry but I have to come to terms with the fact that my entire understanding of the universe is utterly flawed. I should be back by Friday.” Can you call in sick due to existential angst?

(Though I was made aware of the official company policies regarding blogging today. This just reemphasizes just why I never write about work because that should give me a legal basis for being able to enjoy the greatest gift that this country has ever created, which is the freedom of speech. Of course, I also realized that for a year and a half I had the excuse of “Oh, I didn’t know there was a policy about blogging” and didn’t take advantage of it. Missed more than a few jokes in the process.)

On to this morning’s comment. Battling the Current has very few rules but rule # 27 clearly states that “No one shall ever, ever, make fun of Lindsay Lohan on the blog. Except during those times when she goes from being a redhead to a blonde at which point she is fair game.” Because do you know how few redheads there are in Hollywood with any sort of talent? As someone with a stated weakness for that particular hair color I try to protect what is already an endangered species.

That said, I may or may not go and see A Prairie Home Companion. There are a few things on the plus side. It’s a Robert Altman film and I’m a fan of his work (mainly The Player and Short Cuts). Since I started to listen to NPR I’ve also listened to A Prairie Home Companion and I enjoy the show, a fact that makes me feel like I’ve suddenly become very, very old. And there is a slight chance that this will show that Lindsay can actually act and not be just blown off the screen by Streep and Tomlin and the rest of the cast.

Twenty years from now someone will do a study on Lindsay’s meteoric rise in popularity because it has to say something about society. She was a child star but not a huge one. She had The Parent Trap in her early years and then Freaky Friday and Mean Girls but I don’t know if any of those were box office mega hits. I think she became more famous for being 18, good looking and not super skinny. She looked like a real human being, which was a huge shock, and she did seem to have some legitimate talent. Somehow that now translated to being a main tabloid topic, losing a frightening amount of weight, and becoming a blonde, all of which takes away the things that made her interesting to start with. We don’t want to see her partying with Paris Hilton; we already have a Tara Reid and we really don’t need another.

Is it enough to get me to go see a movie about a radio station in Minnesota? Who knows. But as Brandon Davis said, Lindsay’s poor since she only has seven million dollars. I might as well help her out.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Pick up Lake Wobegon Summer 1956 on CD at Borders and listen to it on your next long car ride. It will make you laugh out loud and remind you that there are a few voices out there like James Earl Jones and Keillor that you could actually listen to for four straight hours in the car.

Woody