Monday, June 12, 2006

Dancing in Prague

See, I told you. You do not mess with the Czech Republic. We might not have an economy and we decided that the best person to lead us out of communism is a playwright but damnit, we are surprisingly good at sports. Or specifically, soccer, hockey, women’s tennis, javelin and the decathlon. I have no idea just why it was decided that those would be the sports but hey, we take what we can get.

Oh, and we have a large number of supermodels. And incredibly large number of supermodels, which makes me wonder why my grandfather left there in the first place. I mean, other than that whole escape communism thing.

Back to the world cup. Basically this means that the United States has to beat Italy on Saturday to have any chance of advancing and that is highly unlikely. This will continue the streak of the U.S. just playing horribly in European competition, which just shows a bit of their inexperience. When they play in front of a very hostile crowd they just play incredibly tentatively and can’t seem to put anything together. I’m still hoping for a better showing but it looks like I won’t be worrying about American soccer after next week. Maybe in 2010.

Got to offer a big round of congratulations to the Chicago Rush for winning Arena Bowl XX. Apparently Chicago football teams can only win the twentieth championship game and no others. The good news is that since the White Sox won we are not celebrating this victory like the greatest accomplishment in Chicago sports history. There would be a precedent for that, when the Chicago Sting won the NASL championship (behind the leadership of Karl Heinz Granitza) the city celebrated because it was the first sports championship in nearly twenty years. You know you are looking for an excuse to celebrate when you focus on your soccer club back before every kid played soccer.

Oh, and I should discuss the fact that the latest basesball steroid scandal revolves around a former Royal whose trainer (and at least in some circles, alleged supplier) works with other Royals and Albert Pujols. All I can say is this, the Royals can’t even cheat properly. Think about it, how can you lose a hundred games a year every year while cheating? How bad would the team have been if they hadn’t been on the juice? Do I even want to contemplate such a thing?

Of course, I could just give up on watching baseball and turn my focus to the national Rock, Paper, Scissors championship. I am not making this up, they broadcasted the U.S. championship on A&E tonight. I believe that this means that we have officially run out of original programming. Also, it is a sign that we as a nation have used up every possible way of amusing ourselves and are now down to playing guess a number between one and ten on national television. And with Deal or No Deal, we have probably already done that one. Toss in the competitive eating circuit and I think I have the basis for my doctoral thesis on the downfall of American society.

No comments: