Thursday, September 01, 2005

Analyzing my fantasy

In a much needed break from the dire situations down south (go to www.redcross.org if you haven’t already) I had my fantasy football draft tonight. And while I do feel that writing about something this trivial at a time like this seems foolish if there is anything I need right now it is to address the trivial. With that, here is the draft of Cobra Kai (picking fourth in a twelve team league)

#1: Peyton Manning, QB, Ind.
#2: Marvin Harrison, WR, Ind.
#3: LaMont Jordan, RB, Oak.
#4: Roy Williams, WR, Det.
#5: DeShaun Foster, RB, Car.
#6: Deion Branch, WR, NE
#7: Thomas Jones, RB, Chi.
#8: Brandon Stokley, WR, Ind.
#9: Amani Toomer, WR, NYG
#10: Steelers Defense
#11: Duce Staley, RB, Pit.
#12: David Carr, QB, Hou.
#13: Josh Brown, K, Sea.

Draft Analysis: When LT, Alexander and Priest went as the top 3 I knew that I was going to have to take Peyton. I mean, could you justify taking Willis McGahee over him? Edge James? But, I also knew that meant I was going to have crap running backs so I planned to draft opposite of what most people would in getting two running backs early. When Harrison was there in the second round I took him to have that QB-WR combo, even if it means that I should wear a Colts jersey this year.

LaMont Jordan in the third round is a steal in my book. I stretched for Roy Williams (especially since my hope was to pick up Warrick Dunn on the way back but missed out on him and ended up with DeShaun Foster). Deion Branch returns from last year’s squad and hopefully won’t be out with a knee injury for two months this time around. I really wanted to get Thomas Jones and feel that my Jordan/Foster/Jones running back by committee should work out. I have no idea how Brandon Stokley was out there in the eighth round. Seriously, Keyshawn Johnson went ahead of him. He’s either going to become a starter or great trade bait. I didn’t want Amani Toomer but David Givens (the last Domer worth drafting) went one spot ahead of me.

Happy to pick up the Steelers D, which should make up my disastrous defense situation last year. But, they’ve got a bye in week 4 and we can only keep 13 players on the roster so I might be juggling early. Duce Staley is a risk since he’s hurt but if he comes back this year I’ll have picked up a good back and solved my running back worries. David Carr was the best quarterback available (and certainly the quarterback with the best hair) and Josh Brown is a perfectly adequate kicker.

No comments: