Thursday, September 08, 2005

Random encounters

I’m not sure about you guys but I like these short weeks. Just seems like yesterday I spent the entire day lying on the couch and now all I have to do is get through tomorrow and I can spend several more days doing nothing but lying on the couch. Ok, maybe that shouldn’t be my goal in life but at some point I’ll need to reprioritize things. But for now, man, lying on a couch for an afternoon sure sounds like a good idea.

Ok, I was in Lawrence last night and I have a few stories to report. The first is a continuation in my long line of weird license plates seen around town. This time I actually have to say that this one is pretty neat. Leaving the Robert Earl Keen show I saw a car with plates that read KCPOET. You know, given what this site is named, I have to feel that this is someone after my own heart. Admittedly, I would rather avoid anyone who has the word poet on their license plate but the thought is pretty cool.

Next one is a little stranger. Have you ever had someone that you would just randomly run into for months at a time. Not someone you knew, just a completely random face in the crowd that you happen to see. You’re running around the mall and there they are. Go to pick up groceries and you come across them buying milk. Or that no matter what bar you go to, they always seem to have gotten there one drink ahead of you. Well, I ran into the same woman who is at every single concert that I go to. I’m not kidding, I’ve gone to like thirty shows this year and have run into her at twenty of them. It’s gotten to the point where neither of us wants to admit the existence of the other because each time we see each other it’s like, “You again?” I swear, my first words to her are going to be, “You know, at some point we might as well just start carpooling to these things.”

And speaking on random meetings, pretty late into Robert Earl Keen’s set (great show, lots of fun, pick up the album What I Really Mean for the lead-off track alone) I decided to move away from the stage and as I do someone behind me grabs my arm as I go by. So my first thought is “What the hell” then I realize that a girl had grabbed me so I’m like “All right, she’s smart enough to not let a guy like me just walk away.” Then three seconds later I realize that it is Kristen, the girl who was dating the guy I ran into at the Old Crow Medicine Show. And before I could say, “You still dating that guy” there was Bill, joking how we keep on running into each other. Damn. Hey, at least they are happy together. Can’t fault anyone for finding happiness.

Pretty much it for the week. I think that I’ll be taking this weekend pretty easy. Can’t have too many weekends like my birthday weekend. I mean, it was a blast and there are a lot of things that happened that should happen much more often but I’ve discovered that my body does actually require sleep. Something that I’ll need to keep in mind in the future. Have a fun weekend everyone and go Irish.

No comments: