Thursday, September 15, 2005

Answer Key

You know, one of the reasons I posted the quote list was because I thought that no one would figure most of them out, thereby giving me a great late Thursday night posting. Especially since I would be playing poker on Thursday (did very well and then very poorly) and would need an easy post. But then all of you figured most of them out. Anyway, since I am too lazy to think of something new, here is the official answer key.

1/14/94: Could be Dig, I’m not really sure myself
1/19/94: Counting Crows
1/21/94: Soul Asylum (how in the world could you read that one and think the Beatles?)
1/24/94: Cocteau Twins sounds good. That was definitely a Monday quote after watching 120 Minutes all night
1/26/94: Shakespeare
1/28/94: Tori Amos
1/31/94: The Juliana Hatfield Three
2/2/94: The Freddy Jones Band (who should have been much more popular than they were)
2/4/94: “If it’s ok with you, just let me walk away.” Source unknown. Probably a song lyric
2/7/94: Neville Brothers
2/9/94: Concrete Blonde (Super, getting this one right is pretty amazing. I can’t think of too many people who could recognize one of those lyrics off the top of their heads)
2/11/94: Beck
2/14/94: The Freddy Jones Band
2/16/94: Lou Reed. Correct in that it appeared in the Wim Wender’s film “Faraway, So Close”, which features a monologue by Mikhail Gorbachev in the opening and is about fallen angels. The answer to the Super Bonus question is that I took Heather to see the film, in part because it was Valentine’s Day weekend and I couldn’t stand the thought of being alone that weekend. There’s a bigger story there that I’ll tell one of the days.
2/23/94: “He believed he was safe” First line to Toni Morrison’s novel “Tar Baby”. This day was the worst one of my life. Super, you thought too consciously. You had to think about what my sub-conscious would put on paper when I was at my lowest point. For those of you who wonder what would constitute my worst day here is part of it. Some of you have heard my story about punching a mirror. That happened this day. At noon. Still had a long way to go before that day ended.
2/28/94: The subdudes (actually, I should thank Troy here because if it wasn’t for him and Karen I wouldn’t have the New Orleans artists on here at all)
3/2/94: Zachary Richard
3/14/94: Counting Crows (and I’m embarrassed that I had that line listed. But I’ll tell the story that preceded the quote someday as well)
3/16/94: The best band no one ever heard of: Arc Angels
3/18/94: Stevie Ray Vaughn
3/23/94: The subdudes
3/25/94: I know it’s Ella Fitzgerald and I know that isn’t the one that is in my head right now. The true source is somewhere in my CD collection.
3/25/94: The late, great Material Issue
3/26/94: Smashing Pumpkins
4/1/94: The subdudes
4/4/94: Deftones are as good of a guess as any
4/8/94: Arthur Dent in The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy radio show (written by Douglas Adams)
4/11/94: Nirvana
4/13/94: Cracker
4/15/94: Liz Phair
4/18/94: Frente!
4/20/94: Sheryl Crow
4/22/94: “There is something you can do my love to help me through these troubled time, to serve to remind that everything is going to be alright despite my fighting bitter tears, for these are the very best years.” Ok, I need some help here. I know this is a bad alternative band. I know that Beavis and Butthead made fun of it. I know that it goes “da da da da dum”, which is meaningless on a screen. But who the hell is the band? Erik, do you know this one?
5/2/94: Sarah McLachlan
5/4/94: The subdudes

It’s pretty amazing when you think about it. Eleven years later and we can still name all of the bands and it’s not like these were the biggest names of all time. I know none of you have the true backstory to what was going on in my life those months but I swear, these quotes matched exactly what I was feeling at the time. Which even with distance, is still pretty scary and enlightening.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

yeah

go irish, beat spartans.