Wednesday, September 14, 2005

In a daydream

(Ok, I’m going to leave the lyric contest open for one more day. Last night’s entry had several errors (most notably 1/21/94 (think about what I would have listened to when I was twenty), 3/2/94 (why the hell would I listen to Lionel Ritchie in college?) and 2/7/94 (I didn’t hear Dave Matthews until December 1994). Now, there is an argument to be made that the same lyric might show up in a number of sources so I’ll keep that in mind.

But, the fact that someone figured out the Lou Reed one amazes me. The fun thing is, that is not the voice I hear when I read that line. For that we are going to the bonus round. For five points: Name the movie where Lou Reed sings “Why can’t I be good. Why can’t I be more like a man?” For ten points: Name the director of the film and the world leader he persuaded to appear in it. And for one hundred points: Name the girl I took to see the movie. Let’s see you find that one on Google.

And come on, someone should be able to figure out the worst day of my life. It’s surprisingly obvious.)

(Additional side note: The kid who hacked into Paris Hilton’s cel phone and leaked it to the net just got eleven months in juvie for his crimes. Now, he pulled off a lot of other things that probably merit a punishment but shouldn’t hacking into Paris’ phone be taken into account as something done for the betterment of society? I mean, how else was I supposed to get Lindsey Lohan’s phone number again? It’s not like I run into her at the clubs every weekend.)

Ok, I have a little story today that is a great example of one of my philosophies of life. I was running late this morning, probably at least partly due to the fact that I spent all of last night sitting in the rain listening to Lyle Lovett. But still, I was trying to get to work as fast as I could but somehow after putting on my shoes I sort of spaced out on my couch for two minutes. You know, one of the moments where you’re sitting down and not thinking about anything and then realize, “Whoa, I’ve got to get moving.”

So, I hustle out of my apartment and as I’m locking up I hear a crash of metal from the street. One of those things where you’re not quite sure what happened but it certainly didn’t sound good. Pull out of my driveway and go to make my usual turn to see that there is an SUV overturned right where I drive every morning. (Hope whoever was in it was ok, as I changed my route I saw the fire trucks and ambulances coming by.)

Here’s the thing, if I don’t space out on the couch I am right there when the accident happens. And you know what, that happens to all of us all the time and we never even recognize it. Think about how many accidents you have avoided in your life by being a few minutes early or late. I think our brains protect us by not registering just how random life can be sometimes. I always take it to mean that we should enjoy life while we can and make the world a better place every day. You just never know what can happen to you and a daydream could change your life.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

1/21/94 soul asylum -- had it mixed up with a lyric from lucy in the sky with diamonds -- and I did listen to a lot of beatles in college, but only the later stuff like abbey road, Sgt Pepper's (none of that 'I wanna hold your hand' crap)

2/7/94 thought it was a close match to:

that's our blood down there
spilled from the hands of angels

from 'warehouse'

3/2/94 it was a guess. however, I do recall a lot of notre dame and st mary's college kids gettin' down to lionel ritchie's 'all night long' at the backer

thanks to imdb.com this should be good for 15 points...

- In weiter Ferne, so nah! (Faraway, so close!)
- Wim Wenders
- Mikhail Gorbachev

I haven't seen the film yet but I've heard of it (and its soundtrack) as a U2 fan

and a guess for the 100 points
- was her name Gretchen?

as for the wrost day of your life...
- was it 3/16/94 when tanya harding pled guilty for the nancy kerrigan thing?
- it can't be the death of kurt cobain on 4/8/94. the guy wasn't that great of a songwriter.
- the death of Nixon on 4/22/94 is far more significant un my mind, but I know it wouldn't be to you
- the death of Ayrton Senna on 5/1/94 is also more significant in my mind than the death of kurt cobain, but you are a NASCAR fan and not an F1 fan and that date doesn't appear on your quote list
- 2/14/94 is valentine's day: do we have a winner?

I've got it! 4/4/94 -- the day after Duke lost to Arkansas in the NCAA title game. also Grant Hill's last game as a Blue Devil.