Tuesday, September 06, 2005

Life or something like it

(In what is hopefully an improvement over last night’s post, I am actually awake right now. Let’s see if that causes any increase in quality.)

(Oh, and that comment definitely has to be spam. My blog is creative? Anyone who has ever read this thing can state with all of their being that if this blog is anything it is not creative. For crying out loud, I’ve spent pages discussing the merits of Voltron versus Transformers here. Now, if someone was to comment that the site was trite and derivative now that would be a good comment.)

Got some good news from New Orleans over the past few days. Found out that Jackie, one of my former bartenders in KC who had moved to New Orleans over the summer, was able to get out of town before the storm hit and is fine. Plus, I ran into a few other people I know who are from there and it looks like their families were able to evacuate in time. Also, my brother-in-law let me know of a website where they were listing all of the New Orleans musicians and their current status. Given all that has happened over the past week it was really nice to see the words “All of the Nevilles have been accounted for.” That said, I also found out that Allen Touissant (whose disc made the random list a month ago) was in the Superdome during the storm. That might give some perspective as to the number of people who were still in the city. If one of the best jazz pianists around wasn’t able to evacuate, a lot of people were still there when the storm hit.

I’ve got another story from this weekend that I can place in the “My life is a continual adventure” category. As always, it involves something that everyone else does without issue. In this case, it was getting a haircut. See, last week I realized that my hair had devolved into this unmanageable mop and unless I decided to wear a hat twenty four hours a day it was only to get worse. So, time to call up my local hair salon.

Which I discover has gone out of business. That’s a slight problem but not much of a surprise since their business had fallen off a cliff over the past year. I at least had the card of one of my old stylists so I gave her a call on Friday and left her a message. Of course, I never heard back from her.

So it’s now Saturday morning and I realize that if I don’t address this problem today I will basically be showing up for work on Tuesday with a mullet, which would be cool in an ironic retro sense but it’s a look that just doesn’t fit with my high flying young executive lifestyle. As a last ditch effort I call the salon where my old stylist is working and set up an appointment with whoever has time, which was Thomas.

Get there and figure out that I have an hour wait before it will be my turn. Now, a lot of people would be complaining here but I viewed this as a positive. That meant that a) this guy has a lot of clients and b) he is actually taking his time and doing a good job. After reading the latest issues of Spin and GQ, I get in the chair and his first words were “Ok man, you have way too much hair. Here is what we are going to do…”

He then laid out about a ten point action plan involving style and product and stopped just short of discussing meditation techniques that would reduce the amount of gray in my hair. Seriously, this guy put more thought and detail into what to do with my hair than I’ve seen people put into million dollar businesses. I of course was all for this and basically told him to just go all out and see what he could do. And man, did he do a good job. First person in two years to actually get the length in the back right. Have to say that I went out on Saturday night feeling that I was looking pretty sharp.

This is basically the way my life works. A whole bunch of accidents happen but everything works out fine in the end. A little normalcy might be nice every once in a while butyou’ve got to admit, it does keep things interesting.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.