Tuesday, June 01, 2010

You could have made a good Hopper / Coleman buddy cop movie

Tuesday Weigh In: One day late due to the holiday weekend taking over my schedule but I weighed in at 208.5 pounds tonight, down a pound from last week. Really happy with this as I made some serious changes last week (greatly cut down on the snacking, worked out a lot) and have seen some results. In fact I was surprised that I didn’t see more but given that it was a holiday weekend the fact that I lost weight should be considered a positive. I just have to keep things moving in this direction.

Ok, I have a lot of points to talk about and there is no cohesion between them so I’ll just do this as a numbered list.

1) On my way to work this morning I saw a peacock walking down the side of the road. I am not making this up nor was I under the influence of any substance other than a granola bar. I am going to make the assumption that it escaped from somewhere unless peacocks are native to Delaware and no one bothered to inform me of this fact. You never expect to see a peacock on your way to work in the morning. Still better than the…

2) I swear that every day I drive to work I pass one if not more dead deer on the side of the road. One day I saw two right next to each other and it was clear that they were hit at the same time. There are few things more depressing than driving by Bambi lying on the side of the road. I know that it is just nature crossing paths with large motor vehicles but it does not make for a very happy drive.

3) Al and Tipper Gore are getting divorced after forty years of marriage. On the plus side there does not seem to be a bizarre sex scandal behind all of this. Just a couple that has grown apart over the years and have decided that it is best to separate. However, I’m just thinking that if you have made it through forty years together wouldn’t you feel that you might as well go to the end? I mean, just the paperwork alone would make me hang in there.

4) Dennis Hopper passed away this weekend. In my mind he will always be remembered for two roles: 1) the drunken assistant coach in Hoosiers and 2) the “It’s gotta be the shoes!” guy from the Nike ads in the nineties. In fact, I am hoping that when they put up his picture in the Oscar Memoriam section it is a still from one of these commercials. It is how Dennis Hopper should be remembered: As an out of control fan dressed as a referee sneaking into locker rooms to steal shoes.

5) We also lost Gary Coleman this weekend. As many people have already mentioned this means that we will never quite know what Willis was talking about. It also means that the Different Strokes curse is still in effect and whoever played Dudley should really up his insurance policies. To be honest, Gary Coleman deserved a better career than the one he got. He really was a talented comic actor but after playing the cute adorable kid he could never get any other roles, which is a bit of a shame. At some point his entire life became playing the role of Gary Coleman.

The five random CDs for the week:
1) Sally Timms and John Langford “Songs of False Hopes and High Values”
2) The Handsome Family “Live at Schubas Tavern”
3) Lyle Lovett “Natural Forces”
4) Cat Power “The Greatest”
5) Continental Drifters “Vermillion”

No comments: