Tuesday, May 11, 2010

There has never been a better metaphor for life


I have an announcement for the proud residents of Berwyn, the rather roguish inhabitants of Cicero, the bland denizens of North Riverside and the arrogant pricks who live in Brookfield. Dustin Shuler, the man who created the Spindle, has passed away. Yes, even though our iconic cars on a spike that sat in the parking lot of the strip mall that you never went to other than to go to the Lens Crafters was taken down several years ago we should still remember the man who provided us with the one landmark of Berwyn that people actually remember. As in I have met people from around the world and when they ask me where I grew up I go, “Did you see the movie Wayne’s World? Remember the cars on the spike while they are singing Bohemian Rhapsody? That is my hometown.” As silly as it is people will remember it forever.

(By the way, were there ever any stores in that shopping center that anyone ever went to? I know some of my old cohorts read this. There was the Service Merchandise back when that was still a store and a Coconuts music store and a rather shady Walgreens but otherwise what did we actually buy there? I truly can’t remember.)

Switching gears a little most of you know that I work on a trading floor which provides me with an excuse to look at televisions all day because we need to be kept abreast of the market conditions. Or the local news if someone doesn’t change the channel in the morning (I’m not trusted with the remote for good reason.) Anyway, at lunch we had the local news on and they were heavily promoting an in studio performance by the Crash Test Dummies which obviously made me go, “Oh my god, those guys are still around?” They even showed a video by the band as part of a commercial outro and it had to be from the one video they made that wasn’t their hit song. Apparently they have just released a new album and the lead singer has cut his hair. I’m still trying to figure out how a lunch broadcast in Philadelphia acts as if they pulled off the biggest coup in all time by booking the Crash Test Dummies.

(That said, I just saw that Toad the Wet Sprocket is playing nearby in a few weeks and I’m really thinking of going. I actually had a ticket to see them in KC a few years ago and had to skip to see another show. Still better than going to see Queensryche, a show where they could have saved us all two hours by getting on stage, playing Silent Lucidity, and then have all of us slowly head towards the exits.)

One last note that some people might find interesting. A few days ago I posted my 1,400th blog entry and have been doing this for five and a half years. If you assume 600 words a post that is 840,000 words in that time span, which is rather mind boggling. I know that my writing schedule has been a bit wonky the past few months for reasons that I won’t bother getting into but I am really going to try to keep this going. I seriously never expected it to last this long nor find out that someone in Malawi has read something I wrote. And at the end of the day writing is my therapy and my release and right now I need that more than ever.

No comments: