Thursday, November 06, 2008

I could even take the Amtrak to Washington

I’m just going to end the week with a whole bunch of quick bits of things that were meant to be filler in the live blog but didn’t quite make their way there. I’d write this in paragraph form but that would require trying to craft this into a cohesive whole and I have a sinking feeling that I am too ill equipped for such an epic task.

1) I have a new least favorite person in the gym. For my first month of working out I have had exceptional luck with finding an open treadmill. Until this week I had never had an issue. This week though has been absolute crap. Today I was forced to bike 12 miles because someone decided to walk as slow as possible for forty minutes. You know what? If you are wearing a collared shirt it can’t really be considered exercise. It’s not like I’m an athlete or anything but at least I sweat. And I hate having to ride an exercise bike. It is the most boring thing known to man.

2) When you have a decent commute it is the little things that you take pleasure in. Just one little sight that makes things interesting. Such as the sign that reads “Wilmington: A Place to be Somebody”. Which is nice because it leaves open the option of remaining a nobody. So, you can imagine my dismay when my favorite billboard was replaced this week. Every day I would be stopped at a light looking at an advertisement for the University of Delaware’s MBA program. This wouldn’t mean much except that in the dead center of the picture was a rather pretty blonde. Just knowing that I would see her made getting in the car worthwhile. Now it’s been replaced by an advertisement for a cardiac center. So I have gone from seeing something that makes my heart go pitter patter to something that makes me worry about my cholesterol. Life just isn’t fair sometimes.

3) Oh, and to show how out of it I am (and how the time change screwed me up) I actually took a wrong turn on the way home this week. Now, in my defense I was tired, it was raining and this area seems to consider streetlights the work of the devil. However, imagine my joy when after a few minutes I realized that I was on a rural road with absolutely no idea where I was. I really miss I-35. Yes, it was boring and annoying but at least you could see the damn road.

4) Back to the advertising front has anyone else been stunned by the continual advertising of The World at War on DVD? As in the Time Life series on World War II that is now being advertised on network television in prime time? Now I remember these commercials from years ago back when it was on VHS and they were a staple of afternoon cable television. But to see them on prime time is just jarring. First off, I don’t really see there being a great market for people wanting crystal clear copies of World War II footage. But more to the point, is the advertising market so weak that Time Life can afford spots on national television? If there was ever a sign that network television and cable are on the same playing field then this is it.

5) Random note: Will someone who reads this (and knows me well) please email me in the next week or so to remind me to write the story of my perfect day? I’m not sure if it is blog material but it needs to be written and I have a feeling that if I’m not pushed to write it I might forget about it.

6) For those wondering, yes I am on the shortlist to take Joe Biden’s spot as senator from Delaware. However, that is mainly because I am one of only twelve people in this entire state who is actually qualified to serve in the senate. Being senator from Delaware is kind of like being named Miss Wyoming. Sure it is an honor and you get to be on the big stage along with everyone else but let’s face it; it’s not like the competition is very fierce.

7) Next week: Anniversary Celebration!!! And yes, there will be free gifts! For all of you who ever thought “Chris should pay me for having to read this every day” you will finally get your wish. Consider it a way to show off my Sprint marketing expertise: I will pay you to use my service. But it should be a lot of fun. Also everything is on track for a uber cool post on Sunday. I hope it works out the way I envision it.

No comments: