Wednesday, September 24, 2008

The Road Not Taken...

I can’t believe that the president decided that the best time to speak to the nation was during a new episode of Project Runway. Doesn’t he know anything? We as a nation have priorities and at the top of the list is a reality show featuring designers fighting for an opportunity to showcase at a fashion event that matters to no one other than people in the fashion industry. Seriously, it’s not like the U.S. economy is collapsing or anything. Oh yeah, my bad.

(They better be keeping Kenley around because she makes for a great villain. I’d have a huge crush on her (because I totally dig the retro Betty Page look) if it wasn’t for the fact that she is just a total bitch. Instead I’ll continue to long for Leanne who actually looks like someone I could potentially date.)

Driving around town the past few days I have found myself in a very interesting quandary. I will often drive past both Garden of Eden Lane and Snuff Mill Road and I cannot decide which road scares me more by name alone. I can’t bring myself to drive down either of them because of what might be at the end of the road.

Now for Sunff Mill Road that makes perfect sense. You drive down that road and you know that you have stepped foot into a horror movie. At some point you are going to drive by some old, run down building and have your car break down just as you hear the screams of the damned coming from the distance. There will be continual references to the location of a ballroom and a prom that went tragically wrong. If I drove past the old Snuff Mill I would be greatly disappointed if I got out of the car and did not see a hook hanging from the passenger door.

Garden of Eden Lane seems much more inviting. Maybe paradise is waiting for you at the end of the road. There are a few problems with this though. First off, the road is in Delaware. I haven’t consulted with my theologian-on-call about this but I’m pretty sure that the Garden of Eden mentioned in the Bible is not located in Delaware. In addition, I’m not sure what paradise in Delaware would consist of. I could only hope that it contains roads with more than one lane and adequate parking. But my biggest concern is what if you drive down the road to paradise and find out that you don’t particularly like it? Imagine being told “Here is perfection in all its glory” and have your first thought be “Is that all? I expected it to be a lot bigger. And at least have a Baskin-Robbins.”

For some reason I think I’ll tempt the guy with a chainsaw over finding out that paradise isn’t what I had anticipated. At least he looks like he’s a hockey fan.

Wednesday Night Music Club: In a bit of a Damien Rice mood tonight so here is he and the band (including the ever lovely Lisa Hannigan) performing Volcano at Abbey Road studios.

No comments: