Sunday, September 07, 2008

On the Road

So I am midway through my drive across the country to get to my new home. I thought that I would discuss some of what I have seen on my journey so far.

1) There is absolutely nothing to see while driving through Iowa. In fact, I know of only two historical sites in the entire state. One is the birthplace of John Wayne and the other is a pro wrestling museum. I would have stopped at the wrestling museum but I would prefer to not spend any more time in Iowa than I am required to.

2) However I must give Iowa a great deal of props for their rest areas. Clean, well designed, good vending machines and actually nicely scenic. Nothing beats the Rural Singles Guides that are sold through the vending machines at these places. They always put a smile on your face and provide you with some rather amazing reading material for the road.

3) Best thing seen while on the road. Somewhere in Iowa I was coming up on an overpass and I saw two figures looking over the railing. One had something in his hands so I changed lanes just in case it was a rock or something. When I got close and looked up I saw that it was a kid who was sitting on the railing, looking at the traffic and reading a book. Just like what you would see in a movie about a small town kid who wants more than life and his only excitement is reading and watching cars going someplace other than there.

4) I’m spending the night in South Bend and I think it says something that no matter how many times I make the trip out here the only way I know that the Toll Road is coming up is by looking out for billboards advertising strip clubs and adult bookstores. I think that Yahoo maps provides those directions as well.

5) If you do have a six hour plus drive ahead of you I really recommend picking up the audio book copy of World War Z: An Oral History of the Zombie War. It made the trip fly by and I am now well prepared for the inevitable zombie uprising.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

World War Z was a good call. Max Brooks (son of Mel Brooks) did a great job with the book, and his publishers created one heck of a good audio version. Very entertaining. I listened to it during a long night-time drive through Pennsylvania and New York.

--Jonathan Maberry

Multiple Bram Stoker Award-winning author of ZOMBIE CSU: The Forensics of the Living Dead;
GHOST ROAD BLUES and BAD MOON RISING
www.jonathanmaberry.com

Anonymous said...

Forget Yahoo Maps. They have stopped investing into it, and it shows. Use Google Maps instead.