Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Television worth watching, or at least recording

This will be a relatively quick post as I just got back from the Phillies game. Yes, after only a few weeks I am already going “Yay team from vaguely my geographic location!” I mean, I can understand cheering for Philadelphia without actually living in the city. I’ve cheered for Chicago teams all my life even though I did not technically grow up in the city proper. However, I’m not even living in the proper state to cheer this team. I should be cheering the local Delaware team which is the….I’ll get back to you on that.

There is something odd about living in one of those states which when shown on a map simply have a line pointing to it because the name of the state is bigger than the state itself. I’m not even talking in terms of scale on a map. I believe that if you just wrote the word “Delaware” in the middle of the street you would technically cross state lines. And get hit by an idiot on his cell phone so I wouldn’t recommend it as an experiment.

I’ll just spend the rest of this post reviewing my favorite shows on television: How I Met Your Mother and The Big Bang Theory. I’ll start with The Big Bang Theory, which still amazes me that it got renewed because there can’t be that many people out there who appreciate physics humor. First off, props for showing Sheldon using the t-shirt folding device that was discussed on this blog a few years ago. It is the easiest and most effective way to have perfectly folded t-shirts. That was the highlight of the episode.

Sadly, that was pretty much the only highlight of the episode (well, that and the whole Indian cinema section). It just seemed to me that the chemistry between Leonard and Penny was completely off. We spent all last season building up to where they kiss and they did and there seemed to be something going there. But in last night’s episode I couldn’t even imagine them being a couple. Heck, even understanding why they were friends seemed to be a stretch. The entire story is built on Penny liking Leonard, maybe not as the man of her dreams but a definite connection being there, while Leonard is totally smitten and completely lost. Last night they just seemed like neighbors who were trying to avoid one another. I hope that is fixed in the future.

(Oh, and the discussion as to what would be required to become Green Lantern was also quite good.)

As someone who has stated that How I Met Your Mother has gone beyond stealing several of the ideas behind my novel but has moved into taking sections of my life and placing them on screen I was rather disappointed with last season on a whole. Ted became a bit of a jerk and a pretty big man slut. (I’m not sure what the technical term is for a guy who sleeps around more than he probably should. A More?) Robin just kind of existed in her own little world and Barney was the only one on the show worth watching.

Well, the show moved in the right direction though I still have some issues. We have luckily quickly forgotten the whole “Barney got hit by a bus” subplot as well as the “We all hate Barney” issue. Ted is engaged to a character who, other than the three minute date, the audience has no vested interest in other than it is really nice to have Sarah Chalke on television. When they brought up how Ted knows nothing about her it was a nice way of saying neither does the audience. I’m not sure where that story is going and since he is our hero (and my surrogate) I’d sure like to know what is going to happen next.

Easily the best part was Barney’s falling in love with Robin. First, yes my new apartment resembles Barney’s in great detail up to and including the life size stormtrooper statue. This is the storyline that will probably carry the show for the rest of the season. We want to see Barney and Robin together because they would make a great couple. Plus, Barney would become human and have to change his ways. Most of all, this is awesome because we have a situation in which Barney doesn’t have a clue how to act. It is always fun to watch someone so put together be absolutely clueless. And the fact is, when she left him at the end of the episode you felt sympathy (and in my case, empathy) for the guy. Not bad for a sitcom.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I too disappointed by the direction HIMYM is going. Ted became an annoying dick and Barney got a heart. Its kind of like what they did to Ross and Joey in the later seasons of Friends. Its doing something different not for the sake of progress, but just for the sake of doing something different (Obama, what?).

Its also becoming too much of a soap opera with light humor provided along the way. I realize the need for continuity to get viewers to keep tuning in, but when writers have to rely on cliffhangers and an episode isn't funny enough to be watchable on its own and then the series is getting close to jumping the shark.

Anonymous said...

The only time the name Barney may be on TV is when it is a big purple dinosaur. Otherwise you will should expect what you are getting here and nothing better.
Or shall I say, the original Barney ruined that name for TV characters of the future and that's all there can ever be to it.