Thursday, September 04, 2008

Punching the time card

So I started my new job yesterday. I probably could have posted about my first day on the job but I thought that I would give it a little more time to settle in. Also, my travel schedule has been a bit of a mess as in this is what I am doing this week. I flew to Philly on Monday, picked up the keys to my new apartment, checked into a hotel, worked Tuesday and Wednesday, flew back to KC tonight, will finish packing my apartment tomorrow, put everything on a moving van on Friday, drive off on Saturday and at some indeterminate point receive my stuff in Delaware. So I’ve been a bit busy. Still, here are some of my first thoughts.

1) One of the first things I had to do was get my ID badge. Since I am a rehire not only did they have my old ID number but they actually decided to reuse my old ID picture. One that was taken, and I kid you not, in 1995. Yes, my ID has a picture of dorky, 21 year old EC. What is more amazing is that seven years after I left they still had my picture on file. But then again, it is me we are talking about here. No one could ever dare toss out a picture of moi.
2) Like everyone starting a new job I am in a bit of a mess in terms of forms and documents and computer access. I was just happy that my computer worked and I was able to use my phone. That is usually your only goal for the first week at a place. It’s not like you are going to be useful.
3) I do find it incredibly funny that I start a new job, work two days, and then immediately take several off. But that is the only way to deal with all of the relocation issues that I am faced with. Plus, my teleporter just isn’t working as well as it used to.
4) The five month layoff is going to be a little tough to overcome. For one, I am really not used to working eight hours a day. Even on my biggest job search days I only put in four. By late afternoon all I want to do is take a nap. It doesn’t help that I will need to be in the office by eight if not earlier. I’m certain that I will be able to adjust my body clock to the new schedule but it is going to be a rough couple of weeks.
5) The biggest thing is that I am excited to be doing the job. Today I recalled a lot of information that I had not thought about for seven years. That is huge for me. For one, I know that all of that knowledge is sitting in my brain and that all I need to do is bring it to the forefront. But more importantly, I was amped to be in the environment and having questions about transmission limits posed to me. It has been a long time since I was that excited to be in an office.

That is it for tonight as I really need to go to sleep. Way too much work to do tomorrow. In my next entry: birthday musings and a farewell note to Kansas City. You won’t want to miss it.

No comments: