Sunday, September 21, 2008

Relaunch Party!


As many of you know (and as the above picture helps to illustrate) a week ago today I officially completed my move from Kansas City to Wilmington. Or at least that is when my moving truck arrived carrying all of my belongings, which were delivered to me in roughly the same condition as they were when they were placed on the truck. Sadly, they were not magically dusted on the trip causing me to perform more cleaning than I would have preferred though my aversion to cleaning is what caused the whole issue in the first place.

But the point is that as of now I am essentially settled into my new place. Unpacking the CD collection, placing all of them on the ground in alphabetical piles, and then placing the entire collection into the stands in alphabetical order by artist and then chronologically within the artist made me finally feel as though this was a permanent event. It also made me realize that the degree to which my life is ordered has probably gone a few steps beyond being an interesting personality quirk and has reached a point where medication may be required. But I’ll deal with that at a later date.

(Though I have to say, looking at 700 discs scattered around the floor looked really, really cool.)

I was supposed to have the internet in my apartment running last Monday and I momentarily did. Then, thanks to an error that I still have not understood completely my account uninstalled itself and it took me until Thursday to realize to that if I just followed the same procedure the technician did that I could reinstall it myself. Hence, what few blog postings I made over the past two weeks were primarily written at work where I had about five minutes every few days to post just so that everyone would know that I did not fall off the face of the earth or had found myself in yet another medical misadventure.

But with all of that done I can now officially get back to blogging and I would like to take this as a moment to officially relaunch the blog. Nothing is going to change, at least technically. It is still Battling the Current and I’m keeping kcgatsby because I think it is an awesome reference (though props to a friend of mine who suggested DelawareChesterton as my new name). This site has been going for four years and over 1,000 posts and I have no desire to stop now.

What is going to change is the obvious. I’ll keep on writing about my life but my life is now very different than it was a few months ago. Kansas jokes will be replaced with Delaware references that no one will understand. I’ll be writing about what it is like to move to a town where you know no one and starting work at a company that you are familiar with and are a stranger at all at the same time. There will be a little stronger focus on politics mainly due to the time of year. I’ll still write about pop culture but just be aware that I no longer have a job where surfing the Internet is a requirement so I might be a half step behind where I was, which was still six steps ahead of most of the population. Really, I am just going to focus on having the blog meet my initial objective: being something people can read in the morning at work for a five minute reprieve from another day at the office.

For my new readers (or people who are rejoining after a long absence) there are a few standard features should be aware of. Sunday night features The Best of 120 Minutes (a video from music’s golden age) and the Random CDs for the week (what I’m listening to in my car that week). Wednesday night has the Wednesday Night Music Club: a video from an artist you don’t know but should. And Friday night will be your 80s Weekend Rewind: a video from the early days of MTV that is much funnier in retrospect than one would imagine. As always, feel free to comment on anything I write. Annonymous comments are fine, I just require that you prove that you are not a robot intent on overthrowing society before you post. It’s tough to offend me so it is an open forum and there is still nothing better than checking my email and seeing that I have comments. Makes this all worthwhile.

I’m still Battling the Current. I still think that I am swimming upstream in a society that does not match what I envision it to be. My present life is not all that I want it to be. This is a story about one man’s journey to find his own destiny. Join me. It could prove to be quite interesting.

Best of 120 Minutes: Back to someone who I have had a crush on for the past fifteen years or so: Liz Phair. The fact that she is only a few years older than me and is a fellow Chicagoan makes me always think that in some parallel world the two of us met up and fell in love. Why I never tried to make this happen in this world is beyond me. Here is “Supernova” with a video that appears to be from a Scooby Doo episode gone horribly wrong.



Five Random CDs for the Week:
1) The Last Town Chorus “Wire Waltz”
2) Aimee Mann “@#%*! Smilers”
3) Aaron Neville “The Grand Tour”
4) Anders Parker “Tell It To the Dust”
5) Jump, Little Children “Magazine”

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

glad to see the blog back!! good luck on your continued journey to find your destiny...and even if you find a map, may you lose it to experience the ride for what it provides vs. the sole pursuit of the finish line.

best of luck in wilmington.