Sunday, December 30, 2007

Lousy Smarch Weather



Best of 120 Minutes: Of all the songs that I wrote about last week, The Cranberries “Linger” is the one that made me look up the video immediately. Man, I dug this song back in my younger days.

I seem to have lost track of time. Literally, I’m not sure what day it is right now. My body clock is all screwed up. Between travel back home for Christmas and being out of the office I seem to have lost all of my usual indications as to what I’m supposed to be doing. What’s worse, the TV schedules aren’t helping me out at all. This led to today being as close to a lost day as I’ve ever experienced.

It starts with my staying up to 7 in the morning on Saturday night. Ok, that sounds a hell of a lot more exciting than it really was. What happened was I slept on my couch until 10 in the evening, gathered my self together, went out for a while, came back at 1 in the morning and wrote emails until 2. That really isn’t too unusual for me. Then I went to sleep, or at least tried to. I must have slept for part of the time but most of it was spent lying in bed as my head cold grew progressively worse.

At around 7 I finally got up the strength to get out of bed, take some medicine and watch TV for ten minutes at which point I promptly fell back asleep and woke up around noon. Having completely wasted my morning I decided to spend some time watching the Bears game, reading the first act of Henry IV Part I and falling asleep on the couch. By five in the evening I realized that all of those wonderfully productive things I planned on accomplishing today were never going to happen so I just microwaved dinner and fired up the Playstation. This might be the laziest I’ve ever been in my life.

I’d like to blame most of this on my cold, as I think my body was just telling me to take a day off and not deal with all of my usual hassels. It’s not as bad as the one that put me in the ER in September but it is just one of those that leaves you sniffling and wondering how sore your throat can get. I get this cold every year after Christmas, a result of my dealing with crowded Southwest flights and being the favorite uncle to seven nieces and nephews. That always results in my spending the new year fighting off a cold.

Luckily I’m not in the office tomorrow (though I probably will end up doing some work from home). By midnight tomorrow I’ll need to finish Part I of Henry IV (to keep up my yearly tradition of reading one Shakespeare play). I’m hoping to have my year end email done for those who typically receive it but that might be delayed by a day or two.

I’ll go out on New Year’s Eve even if it is amateur night and I’m now a grizzled veteran. I thinking I’m turning into the Vinny Testaverde of the bar scene. The guy you’re amazed to see is still around. Actually, I’ll probably just see a band tomorrow. It’s strange enough being by yourself on New Year’s Eve; I’d much rather avoid places where everyone is a couple. Somehow watching a band is much more acceptable.

The five random CDs for the week:
1) Kathleen Edwards “Failer”
2) Neko Case “Live From Austin, Texas”
3) Sting “The Dream of the Blue Turtles”
4) Wilco “Sky Blue Sky”
5) Billy Bragg and Wilco “Mermaid Avenue Volume II”

No comments: