Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Fear does not exist in my dojo


I’m proud to announce that after much thought and effort I have successfully led Cobra Kai into the Fantasy Football playoffs. We had a great regular season winning our division by two games and having the high score in the league for four of the fourteen weeks. Led by team captain Joseph Addai, the quarterback hydra and super sub Wes Welker we now move on to challenge the horribly named Loves Tigers (featuring Tom Brady and Ladanian Tomlinson) in the semi-finals.

(For those wondering about the team I drafted for my buddy, he won the wild card berth and had the high score for three weeks. Now that is some good drafting.)

However, I am looking for some added guidance in my lineup decision for this week. The big decision is at quarterback as I must choose amongst my three headed monster of Brett Favre, Matt Hasselbeck and Derek Anderson. Right now I have Anderson but if anyone, especially someone with access to Green Bay info, wants to challenge my selection please let me know. The other choice is between Lee Evans and Jerricho Cotchery for my third wide receiver. Lee is good for either 20 points or 2 points, you never know which. Any ideas from the crowd?

One other fantasy football comment, which I know bores the pants off of people. I have ended up with Josh Brown as my kicker. I’ve been playing this game for four years and every year Josh Brown ends up as my kicker. I don’t even draft the guy anymore, he just gets placed on the team. Anyone else have a guy they always seem to end up playing?

Switching gears, I saw some sad news online from a source that might not be totally official but is as strong as I could find. One of my favorite writers, Terry Pratchett, has been diagnosed with early onset Alzheimer’s. To give a sense of to what degree he is one of my favorites I just counted and from where I am sitting I can see over thirty books of his that I have scattered about, a number of which I traveled to England in order to buy. His Discworld series is one part fantasy and one part social satire and can go from funny to thought provoking and back again in an instance. Take care Terry and if you haven’t read his books you definitely should. Basically, if you liked Douglas Adams you will like Terry.

(I also have to say that in keeping with his sense of humor he ended his press release to his fans by saying roughly “I know it is human nature to say ‘Is there anything I can do to help?” but right now I’m not entertaining any offers unless you have a high-end knowledge of brain chemistry.” That’s actually a good attitude to have in my mind.)

Wednesday Night Music Club: There were a few shows this year that I missed because I was out of town. None bothers me as much as missing Old Crow Medicine Show. There is something wonderful about watching people younger than me play bluegrass. They have no idea of the rules and all have a punk rock aesthetic and it just changes the nature of the music. It’s old timey for a new age. If you get a chance to see them you really should. I don’t know if seeing Duke football was a sufficient excuse.

No comments: