Tuesday, December 11, 2007

I even made my own coffee


Coming next fall on ABC: One’s a mascot. One’s a coach. They’re both cops. Mark Mangino as “Thin” Lou Scalzetti and Obie the Orange as Derek Blue in “The Thin Blue Line”.

(Props to Deadspin for the photo)

Can I ask a simple question? Does the University of Kansas even have a school of nutrition? It worries me that I would go to the ER at KU Med when it is clear that they can’t even tell their head coach to lay off the carbs. He’s the only head coach who wouldn’t surprise me if he rode around the sidelines on a scooter. Either that or a band member playing a tuba should follow him around and provide a soundtrack.

So I did something different today in that I worked from home. Now to be honest, the ice storm didn’t turn out nearly as bad as was feared and I could have made it to work. I just would have been a little later than usual. But, I had permission to work from home and I had never intentionally set out to spend a day telecommuting so I wanted to try it. I’ve worked nights and weekends before but never a typical workday. It was a rather interesting experience.

First off, I have to say that for the first time in, oh, over a freaking decade I finally got to work next to a window. Seriously, no one can understand just how much happier having natural light makes me feel. Also, getting to play music without wearing headphones was a nice treat. A little Polyphonic Spree here, a little Ryan Adams there, hell I even broke out the old Jeff Buckley DVD to make it feel like I was in grad school again. Lunch was quick and didn’t cost me money and I was able to spend part of my lunch hour watching my tape of Monday Night Raw from the night before. I don’t typically get to do that at work. I said typically, I’m not saying it hasn’t been done.

(Before anyone gives me grief it was the 15th Anniversary of Monday Night Raw. Sunny came back. Even The Lethal Weapon Steve Blackman made an appearance. For someone who has been watching Raw for, uh, 15 years this was a big deal.)

Back to the subject at hand, the obvious question is whether or not I was more productive. I’m not entirely sure. I definitely was able to pound through a lot of rather challenging work without any distractions. Heck, the fact that I figure things out by talking them out and was able to do that was good (talking to myself in a cubicle is apparently frowned upon.) But it’s just weird to wonder what you should do next and go “Well, I could vacuum.” That’s not something I typically do during the workday though given the way things are going it may become part of my job description. In the end, I think I prefer going to the office. All I did today was sit in my apartment and spend all day on a computer without talking to a single soul. I do that enough as it is.

One quick How I Met Your Mother comment (which I’ll probably build on tomorrow). The absolute best part of the episode was Marshall telling Barney “Don’t kill the bar.” That was due to Barney’s attempt to hook up with the waitress which when it inevitably fell apart would lead to enough awkwardness that none of them could go to the bar. You don’t know just how real a thing this is. When a bar becomes your own anything that you do that might threaten that status becomes extremely frightening. This doesn’t just address dating bar staff. It also extends to dating other regulars because after the breakup you must decide who gets ownership of the bar and that is not a fun discussion. Best case, one of you just decides to never go into that bar again. While from personal experience I must state that I have cost Harry’s some business because of this I probably made it up to them just by imbibing more due to the fact that I cost them business. It all evens out in the end.

No comments: