Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Three Concepts, No Connections



Wednesday Night Music Club: I’ve been discussing music with people a lot this week and one of the items that comes up is the difference between what is the best music out there and what I enjoy the most. Those aren’t always the same thing. My favorite R.E.M. disc is Reckoning and no one in their right mind would consider it to be their best album. I just really enjoy listening to it, much more than Automatic For The People.

The reason I bring this up is that there is probably no one that I enjoy listening to more right now than Josh Rouse. He has released new albums each of the past three years and each one became my new favorite. There is something completely relaxing about his music. It’s not that this is the most brilliant and daring work of art that I have ever heard. He just writes great songs that make me feel good. Here’s “Quiet Town” off of the album Subtitulo.

On The Pick Up Artist: You know, that show would have been infinitely cooler if they did it all under a Jedi motif. I mean, they were already handing out medallions with mystical symbols on them in order to indicate advancement to the next level. Seriously, that was their version of the rose ceremony. J-Dog and Matador made up the start of a Jedi Council and they should have gone all out and had fifteen or twenty guys making up the Council. Could have included that conehead guy just for the hell of it.

I do have one more episode to review as they did a 30 minute “Tricks of the Trade” episode with Mystery. I have a sense that there is going to be untold brilliance in that piece of history. After all these years I’ve decided that being me but being the best me possible is pretty much the best strategy. It might not have the same success rate in terms of pure numbers as Mystery’s method but the quality more than makes up for it.

News Story That Made Me Wonder If I Should Up My Medication: Paris Hilton will be embarking on a humanitarian mission to Rwanda in November. I swear I’m not making this up. This is coming from E! and if you can’t trust the network that brought us multiple seasons of The Anna Nicole Show who can you trust. I don’t get the sense that this is going to help our standing in the international community. Starting random wars for oil is vaguely understandable, this is just downright cruel.

I’m not sure what Paris is going to accomplish, or attempt to accomplish, or even vaguely compose a thought of what she could conceivably accomplish there. I fully anticipate numerous pictures of Paris with a confused look on her face as she glances around and looks for a bar. I’m also hoping for numerous complaints about how horrible it is that these people lack air conditioning and personal assistants. I’m sorry, I know that I should consider this to be a step in the right direction for her in that she’ll at least now know that she needs to get in a plane to go to Rwanda but seriously, is there a bigger waste of space on the planet? Talk about someone whose very existence wastes my oxygen.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

speaking of Star Wars, wasn't Sunday's Family Guy the best episode in a while? I thought Family Guy had jumped the shark, but this past episode was very well written and funny to boot.

also, check out this Lego Millenium Falcon. coolest thing I've seen in a while.
link