Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Back once again

Alright, I’m vaguely back with a status update. As I emailed a friend today when she asked if I was ok: “Ok is a relative term.” I’m now at the point where I no longer feel like absolute crap, doctors have decided what my problems are if not quite given me a clean bill of health, and my overall soreness has decreased to the point where I can function again. And if you are wondering how a fever can cause someone to injure their back, well, if you know me you know that is a surprisingly common occurrence.

(It’s strange telling a new doctor your full medical history and discovering that he is not believing a word of it. Or more like “How the hell did you break that?” My regular doctor back in Chicago would just shake his head every time I came in to see him. He was stunned the one time I actually came in for a physical as opposed to the typical disaster.)

I’ll tell the full story at some point, especially as it may impact a good portion of my life for the next couple of months. Luckily it looks like I did no serious damage but I’m reaching the age where these types of misadventures have gone from freak accidents to things to be concerned about. Welcome to middle age I guess.

Something else I have to say. I’ve given the state of Kansas a lot of crap over the past few years. And while some of it they deserved (banning The Catcher in the Rye) I’ve probably been a little too harsh. I really owe a great deal of thanks to everyone at KU Med who did excellent work helping me figure out just what the hell happened over the past few days. As someone who has been in emergency rooms in several countries it was a definite nice sight to see. Just wanted to say that before the bill arrives.

Since it’s Wednesday (and I want to post something that I’ll enjoy after a rough couple of days) here is Neko Case’s video for “Maybe Sparrow”.

No comments: