Thursday, September 27, 2007

This is how we do it in my neighborhood...

Vanity License Plate of the Month: REDRGN. I have no idea how I didn’t think of that one first. Now I’m going to have to buy it off the guy.

Ok, I have to tell the story about what I saw while driving to work today. I was in my typical morning zone, half awake and just trying to muster the courage to head into the office. On the trip in I found myself behind a truck, much like one of those ones that tend to carry panes of glass. You know, the ones that seem to have something like scaffolding poles on the side where you can carry things. In this instance they were paintings of pets and it was pretty much a movable advertisement for this guy’s “Fingerpaint Portrait of Your Pet” business.

First off, these paintings were like four feet by six feet. These were seriously large paintings. I’m not sure who would need a painting that large of Fluffy but it’s nice to know that they are available. In terms of the actual quality of the paintings themselves…ok, now I can’t say for certain how these pets looked in the first place. I assume that it is technically possible that all of these dogs were possessed by the devil and had eerily soulless eyes. But seriously, I wouldn’t hang these paintings in my apartment unless I wanted to have night terrors for the rest of my life. They were freaky and not in that campy level of bad way. It was literally scary to look at these things while driving. And the dude wanted $200 per painting, which is even scarier.

I’m kind of surprised that I haven’t written about Family Guy yet but I guess all of The Pick Up Artist posts have kind of gotten in the way. The Star Wars episode was just all different levels of awesome. First of all, the animation was just awe inspiring at times. There were a lot of shot by shot recreations and as someone who has seen the film more times than I can recall it was actually freaky to see it animated. It was like my eyes couldn’t process seeing the same image that was in my memory but being slightly different. It’s kind of like hearing your favorite song off by half a key.

Great lines in the episode as well. My personal favorite was the two guys who had to sit next to the laser for the Death Star complaining about not having a railing. That and the “What, are we paying by the laser now?” “Shut up, it’s not like you have to do the budgets” exchange. Oh and the bullseyeing womprats reply of “You shoot animals for fun? That’s like the first sign of being a serial killer.” I had honestly never thought of that in all of my years of watching the film and I’ve argued the efficiency of the trash compactor. Though they still would have been better off by keeping one wall fixed and just using the other as the compactor.

I’m not sure as to whether Family Guy has jumped the shark or not. The show doesn’t have the same brilliance as it had early on but it is still one of my few must watch television shows. Their biggest problem is when they came back they relied too much on the “remember that time…” non sequitors. They’re brilliant but when entire episodes seemed to be missing things like plot it really just became a bunch of gags tied together. Not that that is a bad thing, it’s what Monty Python was, but since the show is still built around a sitcom premise it really needs a plot. They seem to have fixed that now and as long as Stewie and Brian bring the funny, I’ll watch the show.

No comments: