Sunday, August 26, 2007

One more for the walk home...




Tonight’s Edition of The Best of 120 Minutes: Harkening back to the golden era of my youth, also known as 1993, for Belly’s “Feed the Tree”. Ah, back to when I was just a junior in college. Things were simpler then, though most of my days were mainly filled with memorizing circuit diagrams. I had a rather misspent youth. Anyway, this is a rather cool and dizzying video and I have a huge crush on Tanya Donnelly to this day. You might wonder why I seem to mainly post videos from musicians that I have crushes on. Well, it’s my blog and I’ll do whatever the hell I please.

Oh, and does it amaze anyone else that this song was a legitimate hit single? Could you believe any song like this making the top of the charts today? Hell, if I started a discussion on how awesome the new Rilo Kiley disc is no one would have a clue what I was talking about. Even when I mention that it features cast members from both Troop Beverly Hills and Salute Your Shorts.

I received some rather sobering news last night. It seems that I missed the last night of Jim the Bartender at Harry’s as he has made his way to Memphis to start his own business. (All the luck in the world to you, Jim.) Now, those who know of my habits and hangouts in this town will know that this is rather challenging news to me. Jim was as close as I’ve ever gotten to having a personal bartender in this town. It’s not just that he would start pouring my beer as soon as I walked in the door. It’s not that he once handed me my drink over three rows of people trying to order before I had even said hello. It probably has something to do with the fact that he would see me at concerts and tackle me from behind going “What are you doing out on a school night?” Saturday nights in the fall just aren’t going to be the same without my going to the bar with the task of giving Jim the breakdown of the evening college football games and the full SEC scoreboard.

(Jim is also the one who would go “You’re late” when I would walk into the bar after midnight. Apparently I had my own shift at the bar. Well, I did try to purchase one of the barstools once. I just wanted a personal seat license. I’d have a blast going up to people and going “You’re in my seat. Literally. My name is on it.”)

In other Westport bar news, there is now a dress code for Kelly’s. Or at least a sign informing of a dress code for Kelly’s. Officially, it is just a ban on baggy white t-shirts but it just seems wrong for Kelly’s to have a dress code of any kind. It is a pretty much anything goes sort of establishment. One where you have to take extra effort to walk through as your shoes have an unnerving tendency to stick to the floor. In my mind, that is usually a sign of a good bar. It means that people have been having a good time there for many years.

Not much else to report this weekend. Just sort of hung out and did stuff. When you see an improve troop on a Saturday night because your other options are watch Nascar or Apollo 13 for the 57th time it just gives a sense of where your life is at. Maybe this week will prove to be more interesting.

The five random CDs for the week:
1) Various Artists “Soundtrack for the motion picture ‘Once’”
2) Rufus Wainwright “Want One”
3) Lyle Lovett “Step Inside This House”
4) Beth Orton “The Other Side of Daybreak”
5) Terrence Simien “Jam the Jazzfest”

No comments: